Is smoking still allowed on tour?

1 minute ago, soccerguy315 said:

Everyone who has candy in their bus box at San Antonio should be kicked out of DCI because they don't care about their body!!! 

Not even close to the same thing.

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t smoke but they’re $5 in Kentucky now?  I remember Jim telling me that people would go across the river from Cincinnati to KY just to buy cigarettes. 

I don’t know how people afford that habit in Illinois. They raised the tax $1 a pack here July 1st. 

A pack of Marlboro Reds (the typical brand) are $5.65. There are still people coming across the state line to buy. We carry waves that run around $4.33 and people buy those more now. People passing through will ask what the cheapest pack is, which is Kentuckies Best at $3 and change, but they taste like a barn floor. Lol. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Not even close to the same thing.

Why not? Candy is sugar, and sugar makes them fat which is hard on your heart, lungs, legs, etc. It puts your body at risk and in harms way. Same thing.

Edited to add that some of tbe best physically in shape people I know smoke and could out run anyone who doesn't smoke. Just because you do, doesn't mean you can't.

Edited by Incognito365

Just now, Incognito365 said:

Why not? Candy is sugar, and sugar makes them fat which is hard on your heart, lungs, legs, etc. It puts your body at risk and in harms way. Same thing.

Because they’re burning a huge amount of calories every day during rehearsal. You can mitigate the damage done to your body by candy bars. You can’t mitigate the damage done to your lungs by smoking.

I smoked for over 10 years after I marched. Anyone who developed a habit like mine knows how it destroys your lung capacity and ability to move large amounts of air.

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Because they’re burning a huge amount of calories every day during rehearsal. You can mitigate the damage done to your body by candy bars. You can’t mitigate the damage done to your lungs by smoking.

I smoked for over 10 years after I marched. Anyone who developed a habit like mine knows how it destroys your lung capacity and ability to move large amounts of air.

I would tend to agree as a general rule but not as an absolute one. I've smoked for the majority of my adult life. I'm not proud of it, but I'm also not apologetic for it. That being said, I have no issues at all keeping up with people half my age walking, hiking, kayaking, rafting etc. I don't run because quite frankly, drum corps destroyed my back. 

I don't have an issue if DCI wants to ban smoking. If that's what it is, then that's what it is. I marched my time. But I find it very judgmental to bulk anyone who smokes into a category of people who are unfit physically and mentally (poor judgement after all.) If you want to judge, then that's your choice. I just don't like rhetoric pushed on people without consideration for any other view.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Lol. So if you can afford $5 pack of smokes you can afford the full amount of the corps fees? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even in the same ballpark, in the same city, in the same state, in the same country, on the same continent.

Same ballpark.  $5 is nothing.  $5 a day for a year is $1800.  I don't care if a kid in drumcorps smokes.  But I would take a look at the reasons when a kid says they don't have enough money to pay for tour.  I"m guilty of spending $20 a day (or more) on take out food when I'm working long hours.  It's a convenience to me, so I do it.  My choice.  When you choose to spend your money on smokes (or fancy sneakers, or vacations, or fast food) don't ask me for a discount because "I don't have any money".

6 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Same ballpark.  $5 is nothing.  $5 a day for a year is $1800.  I don't care if a kid in drumcorps smokes.  But I would take a look at the reasons when a kid says they don't have enough money to pay for tour.  I"m guilty of spending $20 a day (or more) on take out food when I'm working long hours.  It's a convenience to me, so I do it.  My choice.  When you choose to spend your money on smokes (or fancy sneakers, or vacations, or fast food) don't ask me for a discount because "I don't have any money".

This is a much more reasonable statement and one I can absolutely come to an agreement on.

19 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

But I would take a look at the reasons when a kid says they don't have enough money to pay for tour.  

1. If a kid can't afford dues, stay at home

2. The kids financial situation is of no concern to a corps. 

On a personal note, smoking is trashy AF 

Edited by HolyNOLA

Average price of one pack of cigarettes in Chicago is now $12. I know some young folks who have trouble making ends meet but still buy cigarettes. It is a vicious habit, one of the hardest to break. 

It is certainly not a corps' job to dictate whether or not a member smokes, but if the corps can dissuade a teen from smoking, everyone is better off. 

34 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I'm 28 and have been smoking since I was 15 (underage, I know, whatever), 12 years. I teach visual at the high school level. I can still get around just as well as these youngsters, sometimes better. Smoking affects different people at different paces. Sorry it did that to you, but just because you couldn't hang doesn't mean the next person couldn't. If they can pass a physical, then they should be able to march.

Edited by Incognito365