The fans behind the camera:

Was looking for some high cam captures of Cavaliers championship runs to incorporate into the comparison threads (which is apparently VERY hard to come by).  I ran into this video that DCI published back in 2013 (which I had never seen before).  I am familiar with the camera calls that are a part of tv production... but this is just a riot to watch and hear.

These people have to put so much effort into live calling these shows.  And when you consider the number of groups in an evening that need to be accurately called... it's a lot of information to know intimately, recall and capture.  This is just a reminder that "they" are fans of this and "they" want "us" to see all the best angles.  "They" are just as disappointed when "we" miss something that we know is in there.

So, for your viewing pleasure and commentary... I share with you the following:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the people who constantly rag on Flo and their camera crew, they are doing their best. This is a niche activity, NFL-Level productions should not be expected. By the end of the season, they end up getting it right. 

And I can name certain people on this forum who are incessant about it but I won't name names, you know who you are. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I don't understand the people who constantly rag on Flo and their camera crew, they are doing their best. This is a niche activity, NFL-Level productions should not be expected. By the end of the season, they end up getting it right. 

And I can name certain people on this forum who are incessant about it but I won't name names, you know who you are. 

Tom Blair and crew do a great job during championship week.

The Flo people continue to be terrible though.

• Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I think flo is getting better with every show - is a corps staff member in the box kind of providing guidance as to what shots to use? you would think there would be a lot of interaction between the flo producers and the corps design staff to ensure that the best production is made --

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Terrible is relative. If you experienced the live streams during The Fan Network era, you'd know what terrible truly is. 

I for one am very thankful that Flo is able to provide us with streams that don't randomly crash, stutter, die, etc. 

I've always avoided multi cam until championship week because it lets me get a better read on a corps' show before I see all the smaller details on multi cam. Plus there's just so much to capture and shows change throughout the season so I don't expect the crews to know what to focus on for small moments that may only last 5-10 seconds. 

Be thankful for what we have. Flo has slowly been improving their product. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

You've seen this too then, right?

One of the greatest moments in DCI history can be found at 11:20 of this video.

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

One of the greatest moments in DCI history can be found at 11:20 of this video.

They are ALWAYS in the way!!!  We should make a rule about that...

Too soon?

• Like 1

Love videos like these - shows how hard the people who capture these events for us work, and that it's truly an art of it's own trying to capture the essence of a show this way. 

This is also the first video you see on DCI's YouTube channel - for a little more behind the scenes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not really fair to compare a Tom Blair production with a Flo production.  Tom does the Tour Premiere, Big, Loud & Live and the World Championship DVD/Blu-ray.  He has several more cameras (and I'm guessing top notch professional level equipment and cameramen), he is in a controlled environment (Fords Field and LOS) that he is VERY familiar with.

I also know that he is provided with a show "time log" for each corps with suggestions on where to focus.  Most of the corps also provide him with videos to study and he talks to individual designers.  He goes into each event with a detailed "road map"...and he's a real pro with much experience.

Flo is getting better and better and I appreciate the circumstances they operate under...many different stadiums and they are often getting their first view of a corps.  I also assume the budget is not close to what Blair has to work with.

I am very interested in seeing how today goes with THREE Flo productions on the same day.  

• Like 6