Wildlife in the DCP Habitat - A Field Guide

The Seathopper: Rare, but most commonly spotted at Indy prelims. They oftentimes roost in a random empty chair, squat for only a corps performance,  then disappear. CAUTION: If confronted, they usually scamper off, but they can become dangerous if aggressively cornered.

Edited by kkrepps
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

The DCP Habitat is wild, weird, and wonderful. A brief field guide to the kinds of wildlife that can be found here is below. However, I am not so bold as to say that I have explored the whole of this environment; thus, the results of your research are also welcomed.

SuperFans are easily distinguishable as they often have the corps logo as their avatar or corps name in their screen name. They are also known for repeated cheering on show threads as if they themselves were actually at the show. Often, SuperFans live in their own threads, but some venture into the wider world. Of these, many mix well with other SuperFans, but some types are easily upset by numbers or the Blue Devils. These can be dangerous when cornered.

The Parent is very excited that son or daughter is in a drum corps and amazed and thrilled that they have found a place online for people just like them! They are known for asking well-meaning but somewhat screechy questions about scores, periscopes and pictures. Unfortunately, the Parent often cannot cope with the harsh environment of DCP and the lifespan is usually brief. Some, however, adapt, survive, and even thrive.

The Unified Field Theory of Drum Corps, born in the fevered brain of the Messenger and scrawled upon the whiteboard of a glowing screen, is meant both to redeem past failures and restore drum corps to its former greatness. That is, if the arch-reactionary elements are soundly put in their place. The Messenger's incessant and repetitive chatter often drives away others, but woe betide the unsuspecting soul to whom the song becomes a siren song.

The Dinosaur can be found in both herbivorous and carnivorous varieties. Herbivores are placid creatures, contenting themselves with saying 'back in the day' and patiently chewing on old recaps. Carnivores violently attack anything, with exception of brass instruments in the key of G. Both herbivores and carnivores are destined for extinction.

The Mathematician seeks meaning in numbers, constantly putting them into series and sequences. DCP Mathematicians are divided between those who will compare numbers from different spatial/temporal universes, and those who hold that only numbers from the same spatial/temporal universe can truly be validly compared. The rival camps continually accuse each other of failing to understand the rules of numbers, with some mavericks going so far as to state that the rules themselves are based upon false premises. 

SuperFans are easily distinguishable as they often have the corps logo as their avatar or corps name in their screen name. They are also known for repeated cheering on show threads as if they themselves were actually at the show. Often, SuperFans live in their own threads, but some venture into the wider world. Of these, many mix well with other SuperFans, but some types are easily upset by numbers or the Blue Devils. These can be dangerous when cornered.

Nasty, filty Blue Devils! We hates them precious!

The Messenger and scrawled upon the whiteboard of a glowing screen, is meant both to redeem past failures and restore drum corps to its former greatness. That is, if the arch-reactionary elements are soundly put in their place. The Messenger's incessant and repetitive chatter often drives away others, but woe betide the unsuspecting soul to whom the song becomes a siren song.

I'm fairly certain you caught me here LOL. 

The Parent is very excited that son or daughter is in a drum corps and amazed and thrilled that they have found a place online for people just like them! They are known for asking well-meaning but somewhat screechy questions about scores, periscopes and pictures. Unfortunately, the Parent often cannot cope with the harsh environment of DCP and the lifespan is usually brief. Some, however, adapt, survive, and even thrive.

I was once told that I should never have children as I was suspect to eat my own young. 

The Dinosaur can be found in both herbivorous and carnivorous varieties. Herbivores are placid creatures, contenting themselves with saying 'back in the day' and patiently chewing on old recaps. Carnivores violently attack anything, with exception of brass instruments in the key of G. Both herbivores and carnivores are destined for extinction.

In the immortal words of Philomena Cunk, the herbivores are the placid "across ways ones" while the carnivores are the "up and down ones who eat the across ways ones." This seems to be the same in the DCP community. 

The Mathematician seeks meaning in numbers, constantly putting them into series and sequences. DCP Mathematicians are divided between those who will compare numbers from different spatial/temporal universes, and those who hold that only numbers from the same spatial/temporal universe can truly be validly compared. The rival camps continually accuse each other of failing to understand the rules of numbers, with some mavericks going so far as to state that the rules themselves are based upon false premises. 

Amazing creatures...beautiful plumage. I don't understand the ability to instantly compare shows across generations but I'm happy they exist for those of us who don't understand how to math. 

I now find myself trying to figure out which one (or more) of these categories I fall into. Fun post though!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

The Seathopper: Rare, but most commonly spotted at Indy prelims. They oftentimes roost in a random empty chair, squat for only a corps performance,  then disappear. CAUTION: If confronted, they usually scamper off, but they can become dangerous if aggressively cornered.

The worst of all creatures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Corps Hopper: Throws their support for whichever show they like during each season, but also doesn't bash any other corps. Tries to find something in each corps to enjoy.

If I don’t like something, my silence speaks volumes.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

If I don’t like something, my silence speaks volumes.  

I'm too opinionated to stay silent, though I usually try to be nice about it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know what I am. Not a parent anymore but I was. 

The list is not exhaustive. Besides, the mutations and permutations mean that you could be an amalgam. I recognize myself in four of my original five categories.

• Like 3

The Lurker hides in the environment, and cannot be classified as a new type or as a member of a currently identified type until she/he chooses to be revealed. However, a subset of this group, called the chameleon, has been posited by some DCP scientists, who conjecture that well-known figures in the drum corps world are 'hiding in broad daylight' and posting on DCP under anonymous screen names. Some of these so-called 'scientists' are no more than crackpots; however, there exists enough circumstantial evidence for the existence of chameleons to continue to attract new research. A verified sighting of, say, a Dan Acheson, George Hopkins, or Steve Rondinaro in the DCP habitat would be huge news and put the field researcher in line for the equivalent of a Nobel Prize. 

Edited by mfrontz
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5