"Knock it off!!! It's apples and oranges, man!!" (Comparing the Cavies, with themselves)

After comparing some of the 'best' shows from the late 80's and early 90's with the 'best' shows from the recent past, in an effort to understand design choices between the difficulty of movement and music... In this video we take a look at the Cavaliers from 1992 (when they first won the world championship) and compare them to the Cavaliers from 2006 (when they last won the world championship). How different can these shows be in difficulty, design and aesthetics? Given all that drumcorps fans complain about today, what were people complaining about in 2006?

(note:  The Cavaliers drill writer of the early 90's was Steve Brubaker.  On a number -a bunch- of occasions, my slow, pudding-headed noggin causes me to misspeak his name as "Brubeck" -as in 'Dave Brubeck'... terribly sorry...)

The source videos are linked in the video description.

If you marched in these shows, please chime in and tell your stories!!!!

Let's crank up the Green Machine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I might be misremembering (and those who were around Rosemont in '92, please feel free to correct me), but I think the '92 visual program was somewhat designed by committee, due to Brubaker's advancing illness, with Gaines being one of the contributors, as a recent age-out.

Brubaker's influence as a designer continued on with The Cavaliers for decades, as almost everyone up until the current vis designer had experience performing his work. Sadly, the type of work that was being produced by the Brubaker school of designers was considered old fashioned by the mid 2010's, so now Cavaliers look like pretty much everyone else out there - running from grouping to grouping, with no care given to how they get from set to set, which was really what Brubaker and his proteges did well.

Oh well, at least Cavaliers have a great hornline again, so there's that.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Nice!

10 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Everyone doing these "comparisons" is avoiding the most breakneck shows. Probably on purpose. 

Exactly. I don’t understand how anyone can watch either of these two shows and say that today’s shows are as entertaining. Both of these shows were masterpieces. Neither are especially a Brassline Concerto (with the percussion acting as the orchestra and the brass acting as a piano).

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I don’t understand how anyone can watch either of these two shows and say that today’s shows are as entertaining. Both of these shows were masterpieces. Neither are especially a Brassline Concerto (with the percussion acting as the orchestra and the brass acting as a piano).

Yulp. Cadets 99, 00, 01, SCV 99, 00, 01, Cavaliers 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04. Even Boston during that time period. Let's compare athleticism of those shows vs today. 

1 minute ago, HolyNOLA said:

Yulp. Cadets 99, 00, 01, SCV 99, 00, 01, Cavaliers 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04. Even Boston during that time period. Let's compare athleticism of those shows vs today. 

Star 1990-1993. Crown for a number of years. When you look at Star’s 1991 it is amazing. Playing difficult music at breakneck speeds. Really hard to maintain intonation and breath control. That’s why 1990 Star was so rough out of the gate. As soon as they got a few shows under their belt, they improved leaps and bounds quickly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Star 1990-1993. Crown for a number of years. When you look at Star’s 1991 it is amazing. Playing difficult music at breakneck speeds. Really hard to maintain intonation and breath control. That’s why 1990 Star was so rough out of the gate. As soon as they got a few shows under their belt, they improved leaps and bounds quickly.

Hail yes. And I left out a bunch of amazing Madison shows. 

1 hour ago, HolyNOLA said:

Everyone doing these "comparisons" is avoiding the most breakneck shows. Probably on purpose. 

Name them.