"Knock it off!!! It's apples and oranges, man!!" (Comparing the Cavies, with themselves)

8 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm speaking from personal experience as a visual tech for high school, but I'm sure my point of view would carry over to corps if I ever received the opportunity. I hate cleaning body work. It's absolutely tedious. I like body work, don't get me wrong, but the amount of it these days is a bit much. 

Do high schools march a lot of body work now? If so I'm very glad I marched when very little of it was being done 

22 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

Everyone doing these "comparisons" is avoiding the most breakneck shows. Probably on purpose. 

I think the comparisons are more about how things have changed and what sort of differences we see from then and today. It's not about trying to find a show from the past that could beat a show today. I could care less about that option. Comparing shows 20 to 30 years apart from a standpoint of their unique styles, difficulties, design principles, etc., is a lot more fun. 1992 Cavaliers was a beautifully designed show.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Umm, cleaning body movement to an extent is much harder than cleaning drill. Not everyone's body can move as fluidly as the other. I would much rather clean drill all day, every day than run the same body movement over and over and over and never really getting anywhere because some people just don't know how to move their body. Rhythm is not something everyone has...

I disagree with this blanket statement.  SOME drill is very difficult to clean, and some is easier. Just as SOME body movement is difficult to clean, and some is easy.

Much of the body work is designed in a way that makes it cleanable, such as counting through the movement, etc.

When you look at some of the more organic drill (such as the Cadets zipper in 2011) it can be extremely difficult to clean.  It took all season to clean that, and some would argue that it was NEVER clean.  But at the same time, we often see MUCH body movement that is already being done to near perfection on day one.  No cleaning necessary.

Either way, I don’t think you can make blanket statements that apply to ALL drill or ALL body movement.

• Like 1

I just started watching your trilogy and I enjoy it. But when you’re like “this is fairly easy” I am like LoL Maybe more consideration for purely physical demands, but then again I was a chubby tuba player

32 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I just started watching your trilogy and I enjoy it. But when you’re like “this is fairly easy” I am like LoL Maybe more consideration for purely physical demands, but then again I was a chubby tuba player

I try to use the word 'accessible' which doesn't necessarily mean easy.  Accessibility, in my mind, refers to the elements that are normal expectations for members.  Most parts of most shows are accessible to the members of these groups.  In a way, this rationalization throws some shade on those frequent assertions about the past or about one's favorite corps.  Assertions like: "their drill and music was crazy hard that year!"

No shows are "crazy hard" or "breakneck" any year, really.  Programs are designed to be accessible and repeatable to their members.  Those moments that exceed the standard level of difficulty are generally and universally treated with isolation from music (for drill) or from drill (for music).  And this is observable in every era.

Edited by cfirwin3

35 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Do Cadets 1998 vs 2019

I'm giving it a rest after this next one.

Very interesting watching that Cavies 2006 show, and comparing it to what we have now..

That generic music was such a big thing back then... The music enhanced the drill move.

You rarely see a corps getting Effect like that now, The focus has shifted to Music. Standing the group to get them to play the music the best they can. With the added wrinkle of dimensional props.

Why march 200+ BPM when you can march 150 and play the music well and get effect from the props and quality music.

16 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Umm, cleaning body movement to an extent is much harder than cleaning drill. Not everyone's body can move as fluidly as the other. I would much rather clean drill all day, every day than run the same body movement over and over and over and never really getting anywhere because some people just don't know how to move their body. Rhythm is not something everyone has...

Drummer here.  Ain't that the truth...

Mike

• Like 1