Sign in to follow this  
cfirwin3

"Knock it off!!! It's apples and oranges, man!!" (Comparing the Cavies, with themselves)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Star 1990-1993. Crown for a number of years. When you look at Star’s 1991 it is amazing. Playing difficult music at breakneck speeds. Really hard to maintain intonation and breath control. That’s why 1990 Star was so rough out of the gate. As soon as they got a few shows under their belt, they improved leaps and bounds quickly.

Cfirwin3 didn't feel SI played a lot of difficult brass stuff while marching.  Then seemed to give the BD a pat on the back for what they were doing while walking/marching.

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ghost said:

Cfirwin3 didn't feel SI played a lot of difficult brass stuff while marching.  Then seemed to give the BD a pat on the back for what they were doing while walking/marching.

 

No... not exactly, but okay.

The premise is that the choice to play while on the move has not changed given the difficulty/accessibility of the drill and music.  i.e. Star in '91 doesn't do anything that BD doesn't do in 2014 and vice versa.  The choices in motion and playing have the same motivation across time and the marching is not only comparable on a subjective level... it's objectively identical on the level of member responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Going to cover SCV '89, '99, and '18.  Stay tuned...

This will be interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

This will be interesting

What are your specific assertions about these shows so that I can be sure to address them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

What are your specific assertions about these shows so that I can be sure to address them?

I would say volumn of drill, difficulty of drill, and speed, but to be honest I don't even know what accounts for "drill" these days. I see these kids doing dances and floating around the field, and I don't even know if that's considered "drill."

I'm probably not the best person to ask 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I would say volumn of drill, difficulty of drill, and speed, but to be honest I don't even know what accounts for "drill" these days. I see these kids doing dances and floating around the field, and I don't even know if that's considered "drill."

I'm probably not the best person to ask 

Any person with a strong opinion is the best person to ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

No... not exactly, but okay.

The premise is that the choice to play while on the move has not changed given the difficulty/accessibility of the drill and music.  i.e. Star in '91 doesn't do anything that BD doesn't do in 2014 and vice versa.  The choices in motion and playing have the same motivation across time and the marching is not only comparable on a subjective level... it's objectively identical on the level of member responsibility.

Are these your videos? If so, good job. I find them very interesting. What a fun project for you. I'd be also interested in seeing you time how long hornlines play today versus yesterday - the majority of the hornline together, ignoring small ensembles.

It's not so much how they are doing it today, it's what they are doing today? I honestly just find it mostly boring. I remember when you could go to quarters, semis and definitely finals and be excited and entertained throughout. Now, when I watch Flo, I intend to fully tune in but find myself doing other stuff, while trying to watch, unless I want to see a specific corps. It's like a brass concerto with the percussion serving as the orchestra and the brass as a piano or violin. 

I'm just honestly so bored with 2019. The only shows I like are BD and Crown (I don't even like BAC anymore). Bluecoats are ok. Vanguard I'll always watch just because I'm a Vanguard homer, but it's SO OBVIOUS that corps and designing their shows for the judges and not the fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Any person with a strong opinion is the best person to ask.

Things you need to account for is how difficult it is from a breathing, phrasing and tone perspective when you're playing really exposed music like Star did in '91 and especially '93 and moving like that. Errors are so blatant because it's so difficult. You have to worry about dressing really difficult drill, marching in step, being where you are supposed to be, and playing. Super hard. Then you hit the ballad and have to come almost to a full stop with your entire being and have control after running like crazy. Go run a mile then come back and try to play a horn ballad with beautiful tone and great phrasing. Really, really, really hard to do.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And, you're making me really sad because I so do miss Star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Are these your videos? If so, good job. I find them very interesting. What a fun project for you. I'd be also interested in seeing you time how long hornlines play today versus yesterday - the majority of the hornline together, ignoring small ensembles.

It's not so much how they are doing it today, it's what they are doing today? I honestly just find it mostly boring. I remember when you could go to quarters, semis and definitely finals and be excited and entertained throughout. Now, when I watch Flo, I intend to fully tune in but find myself doing other stuff, while trying to watch, unless I want to see a specific corps. It's like a brass concerto with the percussion serving as the orchestra and the brass as a piano or violin. 

I'm just honestly so bored with 2019. The only shows I like are BD and Crown (I don't even like BAC anymore). Bluecoats are ok. Vanguard I'll always watch just because I'm a Vanguard homer, but it's SO OBVIOUS that corps and designing their shows for the judges and not the fans. 

Yes, this is my project and my commentary.  I just got tired of the same old 'hearsay' kinds of discussions about the past vs. present and thought it would be helpful (and fun) to just compare these shows as they actually are... giving an honest accounting for technicality, proficiency and apparent goals while also being honest about the aesthetics.

I'll try to address some if your ideas as well.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.