DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What do you suggest? Nothing can be done to predict weather one year out 

DCI corps directors are in daily phone and email contact with DCI front office and often each other plus DCI BoD and staff. Have them agree on a point this season where all corps had been evaluated by a full panel. Average or combine that ranking with the ranking from this weekend. Those who have worked hard since that date will get the benefit of their work. Those who have strengths not benefitting from the rainouts and short panels will also see recognition. Whatever process chosen it should be fair to the mms. Heck, DCI had dealt with the last minute problems before; DCI even moved a championship from Indy to Bloomie. Others might have better suggestions and I am open to that probability.  Yes, weather does intervene. This season there just seems to be a lot of it and effecting the same few corps as well. What might others think?

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

DCI corps directors are in daily phone and email contact with DCI front office and often each other plus DCI BoD and staff. Have them agree on a point this season where all corps had been evaluated by a full panel. Average or combine that ranking with the ranking from this weekend. Those who have worked hard since that date will get the benefit of their work. Those who have strengths not benefitting from the rainouts and short panels will also see recognition. Whatever process chosen it should be fair to the mms. Heck, DCI had dealt with the last minute problems before; DCI even moved a championship from Indy to Bloomie. Others might have better suggestions and I am open to that probability.  Yes, weather does intervene. This season there just seems to be a lot of it and effecting the same few corps as well. What might others think?

The other question to ask is for what reason is this necessary? Does performing an hour before another corps actually make a difference when judges can easily go back and change their scores? 

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

The other question to ask is for what reason is this necessary? Does performing an hour before another corps actually make a difference when judges can easily go back and change their scores? 

"Audience fatigue" is another aspect to consider in addition to your valid point which Jeff Ream elaborates on today on another thread. I don't think it is a binary matter of yes or no rather a discussion of what is excellent and how is it best achieved in the current time.

8 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Has been the case at Regionals and Championships since 2018. For a few years before that, the Percussion caption used to have 2 judges on it (one from the field and one from the press box).

What strikes me as odd about these particular judges is that they both have a brass background. Wasn't the point of the doubled MA panel so that there would be one percussion and one brass judge involved for a more holistic view of the caption?

Richard Saucedo is a percussionist.

Im a firm believer that show order makes a significant yet not massive difference.  In this case, I’m not sure why everyone is so worried about This show order because of the random draw of groups of three worked out as it should have even with the rain out! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Has been the case at Regionals and Championships since 2018. For a few years before that, the Percussion caption used to have 2 judges on it (one from the field and one from the press box).

What strikes me as odd about these particular judges is that they both have a brass background. Wasn't the point of the doubled MA panel so that there would be one percussion and one brass judge involved for a more holistic view of the caption?

J, Kennedy is a WGI percussion judge

1 hour ago, Turnadot said:

Richard Saucedo is a percussionist.

59 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

J, Kennedy is a WGI percussion judge

So I guess DCI got away with using 2 percussionists who have experience with brass arranging for the MA category? Interesting.

1 hour ago, Den8uml said:

Im a firm believer that show order makes a significant yet not massive difference.  In this case, I’m not sure why everyone is so worried about This show order because of the random draw of groups of three worked out as it should have even with the rain out! 

For what reason would show order make any sort of difference other than practice time the day of the competition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

For what reason would show order make any sort of difference other than practice time the day of the competition?

It's all good Cappy. BD used to perform first at the Dekalb TOC few years back, and won every year except 2013 when Crown and Cadets tied for first. Doesn't matter where the Devils perform in the order. They have proven they will ball out whether the sun is in the sky or under the stars. 

• Like 3