DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Both of the Sound Sport groups were great! Compass was especially strong. Also impressed with Arsenals guard. Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

DCX doesn't list Arsenal's show. I heard the title as "The Fourth Ring: Music from Scenes from a Psychotic Circus", which Google indicates is a Key Poulan composition.

I want to say Bushwackers first performed it several years ago.  Nice run from Arsenal...lots of notes!

• Like 1

Really liked Arsenal’s creative writing of the circus motifs that we’re inserted throughout the show.  They were recognizable and blended in overall.

• Like 1

Oh the Scenes from a Psychotic Circus makes sense of their uniforms and silks.  Yeah both sound sport groups are excellent.  We know Arsenal is going for Open Class and I'd assume that Compass is as well based on their performance level and development.  

Sounds like a decently sized crowd there already.

9 minutes ago, MikeZ said:

Compass would easily make open class finals.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Could that show beat Colt Cadets' or Raiders' or Heat Wave's shows? Based on the current standings, it looks like those are the three corps contending for the last two spots at O.C. this year. (No offense to Les Stentors. Maybe they come out blazing tonight!)

The crowd sounds very small.

Stylistically this Irving Berlin piece takes a lot of finesse, and they're getting there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Could that show beat Colt Cadets' or Raiders' or Heat Wave's shows? Based on the current standings, it looks like those are the three corps contending for the last two spots at O.C. this year. (No offense to Les Stentors. Maybe they come out blazing tonight!)

I have only seen Colt Cadets this season of the 3 you mentioned. The Compass kids are older and performing a more complicated musical book...and performing it well. It’s not a knock on Colt Cadets, they do a great job filling their niche. The Colt Cadets could not do what Compass just did.

Z