DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

I see the Pulse guy who did the peace sign at the end of the last winters show, on trumpet in that SCV clip. Cool.

Just now, mjoakes said:

And in a serious way, no one these days can really dream of being in a Vanguard, or any other corps’, uniform. Who knows what that will be?

on the flip side dudes marching Vanguard get to wear manliner - so it totally balances out

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 1happyhart said:

My take so far:

Music City: 5.5  entertaining but cheesy  🙂

Genesis  5.7  a corps on the rise

Troopers  5.0 have improved, but the show just does not sell very well

Pacific Crest  6.5  a pleasant surprise - best I have ever seen them

Madison  4.5  time for a major MAJOR shakeup  - hoping for better things next year

Colts  7.3  theme was clear and the performance was very good

Spirit  7.1  improved brass from 2018

Academy 6.7  show is just OK -  the magic of Drum Corpse Bride is a haunting memory

Phantom  7.8  WOW - a dramatic improvement - they are really starting to sell this show

Crossmen  7.6  some very strong elements but it is not all fitting together yet

Mandarins 7.5 a dark show well performed, great guard work, some fatigue late (brass)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

This SCV feature amuses me at the start as they rehearse the same segment of body motion over and over.  The midriffs you can see show some serious abs on both the men and women in the horn line.  

Sigh...drinking beer as I read this...

• Haha 1

Just now, garfield said:

I'm sitting just on the other side of the control booth on the 50, upper deck.

I've never been here before and it's, well, interesting in a bunch of ways.

And not all of them are good.

Agreed, defiantly a new (and interesting) experience. Not sure I would do this again. Interested to see what Atlanta is like in the new stadium.

1 minute ago, mjoakes said:

And in a serious way, no one these days can really dream of being in a Vanguard, or any other corps’, uniform. Who knows what that will be?

"Wearing the Uniform" will never be the same.

So many kids I've known had their lives changed the moment they put on that uniform they dreamed of wearing.

Now?  You have a very nice band.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I've never been here before and it's, well, interesting in a bunch of ways.

And not all of them are good.

How are the acoustics?  I don't see any room treatments, large heavy curtains, etc.

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I did go to the Chrome browser on the PC and it's been good so far.

I'm not sure what Chromecast is?  If you get a minute, point me in the right direction and I'll give it a try.  I don't own a laptop but I have a decent PC.  My 25 foot HDMI cable is not quite long enough to reach from the Mancave to the living room TV.

A Chromecast is a device that plugs into your TV via HDMI and allows you to cast Chromecast tabs to your TV. It also allows you to cast certain things on your iPhone to your TV but it's a bit more limited than on your PC. It costs about 30 dollars but I find it to be a very worthwhile investment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

tried all afternoon to get the IOS Flo app on my Iphone5 to cast to my Vizio PQ65. 

We broke down and bought an Apple TV a couple years back, which works flawlessly. 

• Like 2