DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It’s doesn’t matter if you think my point has no logic. Did you ever think you think it has no logic because you have the Bluecoats logo as your picture? No corps in the history of the activity has won without winning a caption and it’s not going to happen this year. If Bluecoats win, they will win because they won GE. If they don’t win GE it’s over, because they are not likely to win Brass, Percussion, Music, Visual or Guard. The writing is on the wall. They absolutely have to win GE to win at finals. 

Betting on BD to be 5th in brass at finals is a fools bet. They are the Blue Devils. They finish better than anyone else.

.075 from taking 1st in GE, .025 from taking 1st in viz, .162 from taking 1st in music is how you win overall without taking a major caption.  It just happened and could happen again. Simple logic. Whether BD improves more than Bloo over the remaining weeks enough to win in the end is a matter of opinion. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

I would love that, but I just don’t see them topping Bluecoats or Devils in GE or Visual, so it will be really tough for them to climb out of 3rd. I keep waiting for visual changes and the only thing I’ve gotten is tarps that don’t work IMO.

Yep I agree. I think GE Music could rise a bit and visual score proper if they adjust some things. But yeah, GE overall will keep them down. They’d have to win all music captions, be 3rd or higher in every caption and how Bd and Bloo get some 4th place. Crazier stuff has happened and it’s such a great design  team, i have to think they can make changes to improve the program at this point being this close with lots to fix. 

Super bummed I missed the show. My daughter and I were on the way but I had to make a little side trip to the ER. (She got a friend to take her.) I couldn’t even watch on Flo because of, well, twelve hours of misery. But I’m feeling better now. Hopefully next year! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Most dangerous of all?? SCV.. nothing to lose, wining music and likely good changes coming to show. I’d be nervous behind me as much as in front. They are .7 back being 4th in all visual. If that goes up, and it will, even to 3rd, then what? We might have 3 corps within .3 on finals night! Exciting!!

They have a giant ### tarp on the field. And uniforms that are just as muddy visually as the tarps. They're staying put at 4th in visual unless those things change imo

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Um. No. SCV is my favorite. Always. Therefore, BD is not. So definitely not jockeying because I am not happy with Vanguard’s show this year. I can see past my biases.

They (Devils) have the best show in DCI this year IMO. It may not be my favorite, but I think it best. You may be doing math, but you’re not looking at trends and you’re not looking at content in visual. The overall score spread has been shrinking, BD is winning the content battle in visual (that’s not new) and took GE tonight (that’s new). I think BD will win. Do I think Bluecoats could win? Absolutely, but not without winning GE. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t believe they can win without winning GE at finals. 

I actually like the Bluecoats show better than Devils and Vanguard, and I like Crown’s show the best the best of all. But, from a judging perspective I think Devils have the show that will read the best and be most rewarded with the judges from a visual and GE perspective (toss up with Bloo on GE). If Devil’s take GE and Visual, I don’t see how they can lose, especially if Crown takes Brass and Vanguard takes Percussion. If Crown takes Brass and Vanguard takes Percussion, then I think it’s going to come down to GE, because I do not think Devils will be 5th in Brass at finals.

Let me put it this way:

1 of 2 corps will likely win GE

1 of 3 corps will likely win Visual

1 of 5/6 corps will likely win Guard

1 of 5 corps will likely win Brass

1 of 6/7... Heck, maybe 8 will win Perc

You name one year in the history of DCI that looks like this?

This scenario is different and it's a long time coming.  You of all people, griping about the separation and consistency of adjudication, should appreciate the situation as being unique... and good for your particular concerns.

But understand that nobody has a tight grip on this.  The objective here is to get all captions consistently high.

• Like 3

Based on those runs BD should have won tonight,

My wife agreed, 

Brass Judge has got some strong opinions there..

Im sure both BD and Boston will look forward to a new batch of judges next weekend..

• Haha 1

Out of curiosity has D. Argul ever judged brass at Indy? I don't recognize the name 

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

The objective here is to get all captions consistently high.

And this is what makes BD the most dangerous corps on the planet. Because they can consistently score high in all captions better than anyone year in year out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Congrats to the Cavaliers for the score boost and 4th in brass!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

They have a giant ### tarp on the field. And uniforms that are just as muddy visually as the tarps. They're staying put at 4th in visual unless those things change imo

Totally agree., But wouldn't you think this design team has what it takes to make changes with three weeks left to fix the show? They could change uniform color and add things, they could give them all a unique look, etc. Plenty you can do easily to pop better off the tarps than changing the whole show. 

I mean, they are still in it with everything you just mentioned, .7 back from first, with unreadable tarps at this point.  That tells me that some tweaks and it just might be a possibility. I get its not a fan favorite again this year, but this is ridiculously talented corps that knows how to win , just like BD. In fact, more recently than BD to be fair.. They are defending champions with a historically good show in Babylon. They can finish just as well as BD, IF they make changes, as we both know that have to at this point. 

I'm just saying that you never know and should not count them out anymore than BD passing Bloo. Gaines, Toth and that design clearly team know what they are doing and I'd be shocked if they couldn't make real changes to the visual program and design that aren't noticeably better in the coming weeks. 

I'd be scared of both Cali corps at this point finishing 1 and 2 and making every Bloo fan livid in the process!

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1