DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

Let me put it this way:

1 of 2 corps will likely win GE

1 of 3 corps will likely win Visual

1 of 5/6 corps will likely win Guard

1 of 5 corps will likely win Brass

1 of 6/7... Heck, maybe 8 will win Perc

You name one year in the history of DCI that looks like this?

This scenario is different and it's a long time coming.  You of all people, griping about the separation and consistency of adjudication, should appreciate the situation as being unique... and good for your particular concerns.

But understand that nobody has a tight grip on this.  The objective here is to get all captions consistently high.

Look, I agree with you as things look now, and I can’t argue against any of those stats you put up. However, I don’t see that happening on finals. San Antonio is not finals. Some corps are going to excel and widen gaps and others are going to fade and fall behind. It happens every year (although I will admit this year is rare). I think that’s highly annoying and stupid, but that’s just the way it works because these corps are so good. But, by finals, I think it is going to be a two man race between BD and Bloo and I think the GE winner takes it. They are both likely going to be top 2 in all GE and Visual captions (save guard) by finals.

Music could go either way between Bluecoats and BD. BD was 5th in brass tonight and Bluecoats 6th in percussion last night. If BD wins VP and VA content on finals night, then they will certainly win achievement too. Again, IF. If that happens, then BD is going to top Bloo in Visual. If that happens then that washes out most, if not all, of any advantage Bloo may have in Music. So If Devils win Visual and beat Bloo in GE, then the likelihood of Bloo winning is slim to none. They absolutely have to win GE (or at the very least beat BD in it, but I don’t see anyone other than BD or Bloo winning GE). I also think BD has to win GE to win. It’s going to come down to BD and Bloo and it’s going to come down to GE, in all likelihood. Unless BD somehow wins both Visual and Music. Just my opinion.

There won’t be 5 corps vying for brass at finals.

There won’t be 5/6 corps vying for guard at finals.

There won’t be 6/7 corps vying for percussion at finals. There aren’t even two vying for it now. Vanguard is probably going to win that. When is the last time they lost percussion (does anyone know)? I think they have been 1st in percussion for the past many shows in a row, so I’m not sure how you think 6/7 corps maybe 8 are vying for percussion currently. 

There won’t be 3 corps vying for visual at finals. There were not 3 corps vying for visual tonight - it was a two man race between Bloo and BD.

There will be two corps vying for GE at finals - that we agree on.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I got two words for you: HIGH CAM

Today for a while viewers who had selected high cam were actually shown multi-cam. I mentioned it at the time.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

If BD had only sen the A corps instead of BDB....

Speaking of which, tonight was the last show of the season for BDB and SCVC (and BDC and Incognito). These were the score at that show:

1 Blue Devils B 76.550
2 Vanguard Cadets 75.500
3 Gold 73.050
4 Golden Empire 68.150
5 The Battalion 67.750
6 Vessel 64.500
7 Watchmen 61.350
8 Impulse 57.800
9 Incognito 54.550
10 Blue Devils C 53.500
  • Sad 1

Just got back from the show.  The scores were all over the place, but the fact remains that BD again closed the gap with Bloo to .2 and BD is still dirty.  I want to congratulate Bloo for staying undefeated tonight, but I can almost guarantee you that by the next show BD will leap frog them and not look back.  The biggest surprise for me was Blue Stars.  They have a show that is not only terrific, but fun as heck to watch. My biggest disappointment was SCV.  I felt their show was too esoteric and also a bit boring at times.  

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Speaking of which, tonight was the last show of the season for BDB and SCVC (and BDC and Incognito). These were the score at that show:

1 Blue Devils B 76.550
2 Vanguard Cadets 75.500
3 Gold 73.050
4 Golden Empire 68.150
5 The Battalion 67.750
6 Vessel 64.500
7 Watchmen 61.350
8 Impulse 57.800
9 Incognito 54.550
10 Blue Devils C 53.500

So I've just been watching video of BDB from a week ago. Unless they added something since then, they just won the west coast open class championships, and scored at a level that would put them 16th in world class, with no props and no tarps.

4 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

BD and Bloo are both outstanding shows. I really love the visual design and music book of Bluecoats but I feel like BD had a superior performance tonight.

SCV ... it's very well performed, but for the life of me, I could not tell you what the theme might be. Maybe I just couldn't see it because of the blinding glare from the tarps. I'm not sure they have the show to hold on to 3rd place all the way until Indy.

Surprise of the night for me was Cavies. I thought they were great, and I think Boston and Crown might want to have a look in the rear-view mirror.

Is there such a thing as non glare tarps?   The current ones appear to be about 75% white.

4 hours ago, BWise said:

Yeah .. GE is an issue for Crown.. and really BAC has similar problems elsewhere (non-GE). You can’t win with only brass but you also can’t win with only a guard. I dont think anyone had a fantastic run tonight .. maybe nerves .. maybe the big indoor  venue .. maybe working on final changes for next week  .. who knows .. 

1981: SCV won DCI by winning only Visual and that by .05 over BD. (They won CG, but it wasn’t part of the 100.) BD won Brass and GE. Granted, finishing 1.6 behind SCV in drums killed them. 

2000: Cadets won only Brass and were lucky to have tied for 1st.

2016: Crown won Visual, Guard, Brass and still came in 3rd. 

7 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

might've been a way for them to keep an injured marcher on tour. I don't know this, but it is a possibility. Sometimes corps get extra people on the podium during the season if they can't march their spots due to injury.

Nope. My son is one of the two backfield DM’s. Both he and the other backfield DM are perfectly healthy former Baritones. My son was a lead Baritone last year. So no on the injury notion. 

The two guys up front are Cavaliers icons. And they both age out in 3 weeks. 

While I don’t know this for sure, my strong suspicion is that this is just good succession and leadership planning. From volunteering with the Cavaliers over the past 3 years, the actual field conducting duties are just a part of the “job” of being a DM. Probably that way with every corps. 

I think you can look for those two to be the two guys up front next season...and there will probably be two more backfield getting experience for when THEY both age out at the end of 2020. 

But that’s all an educated guess. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Let me put it this way:

1 of 2 corps will likely win GE

1 of 3 corps will likely win Visual

1 of 5/6 corps will likely win Guard

1 of 5 corps will likely win Brass

1 of 6/7... Heck, maybe 8 will win Perc

You name one year in the history of DCI that looks like this?

This scenario is different and it's a long time coming.  You of all people, griping about the separation and consistency of adjudication, should appreciate the situation as being unique... and good for your particular concerns.

But understand that nobody has a tight grip on this.  The objective here is to get all captions consistently high.

Agree, except for perc.  I think it's 1 of 1 has a chance to win perc.  SCV.   How many times have they lost this year?  1 or 2?   Lately?  The pattern is set.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

BD 5th in brass?Boston 8th in percussion and Mandarins in 14th? Cadets visual numbers? cadets 13th in brass?

this is going to be a wild season.

Mandarins 14th in perc is accurate.  Should maybe be lower.  Watch them in the lot.