DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

50 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

The effect of such a giant circle was overwhelming my concentration. Whatever movements the performers presented were fogged out of mind. This is what I assume Macular Degenerative disease to be, as folks describe that condition. 

^this^

and also this:
Screen-Shot-2019-07-21-at-7-33-06-AM.png

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Look, I agree with you as things look now, and I can’t argue against any of those stats you put up. However, I don’t see that happening on finals. San Antonio is not finals. Some corps are going to excel and widen gaps and others are going to fade and fall behind. It happens every year (although I will admit this year is rare). I think that’s highly annoying and stupid, but that’s just the way it works because these corps are so good. But, by finals, I think it is going to be a two man race between BD and Bloo and I think the GE winner takes it. They are both likely going to be top 2 in all GE and Visual captions (save guard) by finals.

Music could go either way between Bluecoats and BD. BD was 5th in brass tonight and Bluecoats 6th in percussion last night. If BD wins VP and VA content on finals night, then they will certainly win achievement too. Again, IF. If that happens, then BD is going to top Bloo in Visual. If that happens then that washes out most, if not all, of any advantage Bloo may have in Music. So If Devils win Visual and beat Bloo in GE, then the likelihood of Bloo winning is slim to none. They absolutely have to win GE (or at the very least beat BD in it, but I don’t see anyone other than BD or Bloo winning GE). I also think BD has to win GE to win. It’s going to come down to BD and Bloo and it’s going to come down to GE, in all likelihood. Unless BD somehow wins both Visual and Music. Just my opinion.

There won’t be 5 corps vying for brass at finals.

There won’t be 5/6 corps vying for guard at finals.

There won’t be 6/7 corps vying for percussion at finals. There aren’t even two vying for it now. Vanguard is probably going to win that. When is the last time they lost percussion (does anyone know)? I think they have been 1st in percussion for the past many shows in a row, so I’m not sure how you think 6/7 corps maybe 8 are vying for percussion currently. 

There won’t be 3 corps vying for visual at finals. There were not 3 corps vying for visual tonight - it was a two man race between Bloo and BD.

There will be two corps vying for GE at finals - that we agree on.

You are right for percussion. Trends indicate SCV will win. They have been relatively dominant in that caption this season compared to all other corps. Who places 2-8 in percussion currently is a crapshoot and it will certainly be a factor in the BD/Bloo race. I would say SCV is otherworldly and we have 5-6 other corps who are elite in Percussion. It comes down to their cleanliness and the judges taste in style. I wouldn't call Bostons line elite but they are good and capable of scoring higher than a few in this group on a good night.

Brass is between Crown, SCV, Bloo. It's unlikely someone else will get the Ott. I think crown has the best hornline but the easiest book. Bloo is fantastic this year and their book is fun, difficult, and diverse. If I were the brass judge and everyone was performing at their best I'd give it to SCV.

Guard looks to be between Bloo, BD, and Boston. I think SCV is an unlikely sleeper pick here. I don't watch guard really and have only seen them on my cell screen so I have no opinion just looking at scores.

I do agree with scores being this close that whoever wins GE between Bloo and BD wins. But if they are splitting 1/2 in GE between judges and it's a wash the other captions certainly come into play.

I wish there was some way to better define GE. It seems as if it’s one of two very different things:

1. The show and the corps technically delivered what it promised. IOW, all the technical expositions fit together.

2. I walked away understanding and liking what I saw and heard. IOW, the sum of the parts were greater than the whole.

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

1981: SCV won DCI by winning only Visual and that by .05 over BD. (They won CG, but it wasn’t part of the 100.) BD won Brass and GE. Granted, finishing 1.6 behind SCV in drums killed them. 

2000: Cadets won only Brass and were lucky to have tied for 1st.

2016: Crown won Visual, Guard, Brass and still came in 3rd. 

Yes this pretty much supports my point .. the other captions for Crown or BAC are just not there for a gold.  There is always some anomalous fact from another season  .. but as a theoretical construct one caption win >> gold medals  .. not really.   

Separate topic but 2016 was total BD favoritism .. Crown out performed them .. period. Full stop. 

Edited by BWise
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I wish there was some way to better define GE. It seems as if it’s one of two very different things:

1. The show and the corps technically delivered what it promised. IOW, all the technical expositions fit together.

2. I walked away understanding and liking what I saw and heard. IOW, the sum of the parts were greater than the whole.

Agree in concept but .. #2 .. how do you do that .. for instance .. BD show .. have no idea how their theme and show relate. And  most shows to me have no literal connection. Babylon. ??? Did you understand that?  And I think it was one of the best shows in the past 10 years. 

11 minutes ago, BWise said:

Agree in concept but .. #2 .. how do you do that .. for instance .. BD show .. have no idea how their theme and show relate. And  most shows to me have no literal connection. Babylon. ??? Did you understand that?  And I think it was one of the best shows in the past 10 years. 

Jagged Line and Down Side Up had no story but I got what they were saying and I felt it was more than just a technical exposition. There are many other examples, those are the two that come to mind.

• Like 2

Babylon was a crazy awesome show. Incredible technical exposition, and a totally cohesive show concept that delivered way beyond the sum of its parts.

I have enjoyed watching some of the Vanguard and Crossmen videos. I am struck by the message to the kids, that if they step onto the field thinking about how to execute the technical aspects of their job, they will fail. They need to project their emotion and communicate to the crowd. This, to me, is what GE should be.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, year1buick said:

Super bummed I missed the show. My daughter and I were on the way but I had to make a little side trip to the ER. (She got a friend to take her.) I couldn’t even watch on Flo because of, well, twelve hours of misery. But I’m feeling better now. Hopefully next year! 

I hope everything is ok. 🤗

• Like 1

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I don’t know why it seems some can’t see this. They have burned me too many times in the past when I’ve counted them out. I will never do that again. They are the ONE corps you do not want 0.2 behind you at this stage in the game. They are by far the most successful corps, from a competitive standpoint, in this activity. Their staff is proven.

We just don’t possess your drum corps genius.  Maybe someday.  One can dream.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Just want to jump in here to say Santa Clara’s tarps really damaged my enjoyment watching them on Flo. Maybe it’s better in person, but I doubt it. The glare is distracting, of course, but so is the dominance of pattern. The effect of such a giant circle was overwhelming my concentration. Whatever movements the performers presented were fogged out of mind. This is what I assume Macular Degenerative disease to be, as folks describe that condition. 

Still, I like SCV’s music better than all the rest and hope they find a way to a podium finish.

I was in a chat with a friend who was in the Alamodome yesterday.  He said it’s bad in person, too.  So I have that to look forward to in Atlanta and Indy.