DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

10 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Boston’s coastline tarp last year was an important part of the design and I’d say it worked really well and it was off to the side so it posed no danger and minimal glare.  

I’m cool with that. I’m not cool with tarps that kids have to march on.

Imagine if the lines on an nfl football field were tarps. Yeah. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m cool with that. I’m not cool with tarps that kids have to march on.

Imagine if the lines on an nfl football field were tarps. Yeah. 

We saw that last year with Cavies. They had several prominent trip and falls on those tarps!

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Boston’s coastline tarp last year was an important part of the design and I’d say it worked really well and it was off to the side so it posed no danger and minimal glare.  

Bluecoats mini-tarps (holes) in the backfield seem appropriate and do not create many problems.

1 minute ago, Den8uml said:

We saw that last year with Cavies. They had several prominent trip and falls on those tarps!

I cannot imagine having to execute any of these shows without tarps. Then you throw a freaking tarp under their feet halfway through the season?

thats like Iron Chef revealing the secret ingredient halfway through the show and it’s chewing gum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWise said:

Agree in concept but .. #2 .. how do you do that .. for instance .. BD show .. have no idea how their theme and show relate. And  most shows to me have no literal connection. Babylon. ??? Did you understand that?  And I think it was one of the best shows in the past 10 years. 

I have read/watched literally 0 of BD's info about their show but ... a "ghostlight" is the light the last person to leave a theater puts on stage. The ghostlight is turned on at the beginning (when the field is seemingly empty) and the show is what the ghosts do while the light is on. That's why we hear a bunch of Shakespeare quotes, and snippets from past BD shows and such. I thought it was reasonably clear as BD themes go.

The real head-scratchers for me theme-wise in the top 6 are SCV (I couldn't tell you a single way in which a "voice of destruction" is depicted in their show) and Crown.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I have read/watched literally 0 of BD's info about their show but ... a "ghostlight" is the light the last person to leave a theater puts on stage. The ghostlight is turned on at the beginning (when the field is seemingly empty) and the show is what the ghosts do while the light is on. That's why we hear a bunch of Shakespeare quotes, and snippets from past BD shows and such. I thought it was reasonably clear as BD themes go.

The real head-scratchers for me theme-wise in the top 6 are SCV (I couldn't tell you a single way in which a "voice of destruction" is depicted in their show) and Crown.

Agree. I would add that for me GE is that invisible quality that gives you that umpf feeling of power and emotion. As Dreams are Made On still to this day gets me. The technical aspects are awesome but they are used to add up to a big exclamation point.

• Like 2

After seeing SCV's props, I'm really glad the Chester field is natural turf and doesn't allow corps to use them.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

And your championship level design credentials are what exactly? Please list the years you have put a gold medal winning design on the stage in DCI or WGI. We will all wait.

Not trying to be argumentative but people with zero cred making blanket statements like this is pretty dumb.

When offering opinions of what one experienced last night, no activity-wide cred is required. These are individual perceptions of but one mind. Each description can be helpful to product development, particularly if a pattern of thought emerges from the group.

While I found this use of tarps overbearing and distractive, many do not. That’s fine.

Would I be in position to change this, I would cut it all up and recreate four individual pieces to  round the edges of the field boundaries. Use the same product more as a frame, rather than an underlayment. The current use dominates what takes place above, I think.

Vanguard is the corps I look forward to most this season. Love to see them 1 or 2 at the end.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

List the gold medal winning shows and tell me how many of them used tarps that kids had to march on.

I’ll wait.

I'd say SCV this year is championship level design. It may not win but you can't argue it isn't championship level and you sure as heck can't argue with the credentials of the design staff.