DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

15 minutes ago, anacrusis said:

stolen staff story es stale.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Fully agree .. so open to other reasons for the BAC obsession with Crown .. constantly. BAC fans go do your thing and be the best fans ever but quit complaining about how everyone’s focus is not on how BAC might have a chance to beat Crown. Beyond stale. And it’s on every blog post .. FB .. IG. Over and over and over.

Good for BAC .. they have a kinda cool show and are progressing. Talk about that some more .. not Crown every other breath. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

It is interesting that as the San Antonio Regional is dissected by the DCP brain trust, little is being said about BAC now being only .35 behind Crown.  Just two days ago some folks were still saying that Crown was only one point behind SCV and that could easily be made up to medal..  Now comes the Boston Crusaders....now what?  A blind dog with a note in its mouth can see that BAC is moving.  Just like 2018.  Just like 2017.  And, even in 2016, an otherwise tough year, they went from 14th in Allentown to 12th in Semis six days later.  History shows that Boston does, in fact, surge during the last weeks of the season.  Call institutional groupthink, or bunker mentality, or inspiration from what is arguably THE most supportive alumni network anywhere in DCI, but Boston is able to draw strength during the final part of the season. For members of this drum corps, as corny as it may sound to some, being a "Boston Crusader" is a thing. Spending an evening in the Most Precious Blood Church in Hyde Park is a thing.  And having 80 years of alumni who have their back without reservation is a thing.

QueenAnne may not like it, but BAC quite likely  has not yet landed in its final competitive spot yet.  Eat'em Up, Boston!  Keep that accelerator right to the floor guys!

Since Boston has already beaten Crown, and since many now consider them to be in a virtual tie, I'm not sure why there would be a lot of talk about whether they will "pass" Crown.  Perhaps you should enjoy your success rather than devoting your energy to taunting and demeaning a handful of Crown fans.  

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Yes,  Bloo percussion going from 3rd to 6th to 2nd against virtually the same competition class in 3 shows, shows something.  I just don't know what.

It shows that results are based on judges' "opinions".   Tics (which i feel were more accurate and less prone to personal bias) have been gone for a long time.  The only thing that matters is who the drum execution judge is on finals night.  All the other "opinions" from previous shows are irrelevant.

• Like 1

In regards to something DrumManTx said in his wonderful review, I'm not sure where people are getting the whole "Bluecoats sound synthetic and unauthentic." Yes, the corps does use a lot of speakers but this is the corps that pioneered it! And they mix the sound better than any corps out there. As for unauthentic, if you can't see those members putting their hearts into this show and enjoying the hell out of it, I don't know what to tell you. 

I do understand where people are getting the "choppy" impression though, especially since I am one of those people who find the Bluecoats show very choppy and erratic. My theory is that it has something to do with familiarity to the source music. Naturally when people already know the source music in a show, it is very easy to see the parts in a whole. But without this familiarity, it can be easy to get lost in the weeds, especially with modern arranging styles that are already a little chopped up on the first place. For that reason, this Bluecoats show isnt the most fun show for me to watch/listen to. But the two complaints I mentioned earlier are just crazy and not sure where people are getting it from 

• Like 1

My theory regarding the volatility of drum scores this season: the scores are all over the place because of the dang rule change that seats the drum judge in the stands or on the front sideline. Depending on where the judge ends up, he can't pick up all the details in the battery and it is harder for the judge to get a good read 

Sorry to beat this drum (pun intended), but this is one of the worst rule changes in DCI in a while 

13 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think it is going to be a two man race between BD and Bloo and I think the GE winner takes it. They are both likely going to be top 2 in all GE and Visual captions (save guard) by finals.

Music could go either way between Bluecoats and BD.

There won’t be 5 corps vying for brass at finals.

There won’t be 3 corps vying for visual at finals. There were not 3 corps vying for visual tonight - it was a two man race between Bloo and BD.

There will be two corps vying for GE at finals - that we agree on.

I agree with queenanne_1536 here. SCV put themselves out of contention visually after adding those stupid tarps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was watching on multi cam and I said holy crap.  They’re bunching up under the kid’s feet.  It’s not like they’re spread out on a gym floor. It’s field turf.   

I had one more thing to say but I’d probably get in trouble.  Save it for another day.. 

I was wondering the same thing.  Even the indoor tarps do move and bunch up.   Seems like tarps on astro turf would have air pockets underneath. Kind of like marching on slightly inflated air mattresses.  Is this safe?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Tarps are almost always a lazy creative solution to a problem that comes from an overall failure of design. If you think you need a tarp, then you almost certainly don’t need a tarp.

Less is more, folks.

The indoor folks might disagree.  How many of the WGI drumline finalists don't use tarps? Zero.

2 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

The indoor folks might disagree.  How many of the WGI drumline finalists don't use tarps? Zero.

I think we agree but you describing the point. I don't watch WGI but as you said. it's indoor, it's probably on a smooth floor, and there's no wind plus the kids are not running all over the tarps like on a stadium field.

• Like 1