DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

3 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

The indoor folks might disagree.  How many of the WGI drumline finalists don't use tarps? Zero.

Yeah .. the bottom line is the SCV tarps technically just don’t work right now .. the aforementioned reflectivity and bunching ... dead on arrival. Whether they need them  or not .. who knows .. but they need to fix them  

8 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

The indoor folks might disagree.  How many of the WGI drumline finalists don't use tarps? Zero.

Come on. WGI is barely even remotely comparable to DCI. None of the WGI members even carry brass instruments, and performances have a fraction of marching difficulty.

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I wish there was some way to better define GE. It seems as if it’s one of two very different things:

1. The show and the corps technically delivered what it promised. IOW, all the technical expositions fit together.

2. I walked away understanding and liking what I saw and heard. IOW, the sum of the parts were greater than the whole.

And it can really swing a groups score... a lot. Even more so in BOA

32 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Since Boston has already beaten Crown, and since many now consider them to be in a virtual tie, I'm not sure why there would be a lot of talk about whether they will "pass" Crown.  Perhaps you should enjoy your success rather than devoting your energy to taunting and demeaning a handful of Crown fans.  

I’m one of the crazy synthetic people. Feels like an “Up with the People” performance. .. if folks even remember them  

Humbly submitted. 

1 hour ago, BWise said:

But we always have someone to remind us how awesome BAC is and how much better they will be and how they are really better than Crown ... even tho they have lost every H2H since CrownBeat so seems to me the trend line is going the opposite way. And I believe .. Crown came out ahead in 2016, 2017, and 2018. There is this perverse obsession with Crown from BAC .. I guess since they stole all their visual/CG staff. 

I think what is being seen is two corps being competitive and some fans taking it over the top.  There are fans from Crown (as can be seen in any corps) constantly demeaning the efforts, choices, and successes of the BAC corps as a whole.  I agree the comparisons go both ways, but Boston does not have a record of being in the top 5 and their successes, just like those of Blue Knight (or now Blue Stars) beating Cadets, are going to be compared directly to those corps to which they are directly competing with.  I think the bigger question is why, in some regards, it's being taken so personally.  All members, from Cascades to Spirit, Blue Knight to Blue Devils, Cavies to Surf, are putting their efforts out of the field and working their #### off every single day.  The armchair quarterbacking and putting down of these members is nauseating - but many will say "I'm not putting down the members, I'm simply pointing out that __________".  Oh yeah?  Why don't you tell that to a Cascades members who are asking why 1/2 the audience doesn't even show up for their performance & the response is significantly different for them than higher ranking corps.  Or "Members should have better things to do than read DCP", sorry folks, you'd be amazed at what these kids pick up on.

Long story short, be supportive and remember it's a competitive environment.  Like a show?  Tell a member after the show, even if *gasp* it's not your favorite corps.  Believe it or not, THAT is what will grow the activity.  Not the bickering over why Johnny said Stan's name 6 times instead of Billy's or why Jerry wants to play with John instead of Bob.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

If you think that tarp is going to make this a gold medal show then I will bet my house and all my kids lives and wait to see who is right. If anything it will push them out of the medals.

Yeah it won’t that’s for sure. They definitely have the talent but Gaines throwing more crap on the field isn’t going to make it better- especially when nobody understands the show anyway.

1 minute ago, WarriorWay said:

Yeah it won’t that’s for sure. They definitely have the talent but Gaines throwing more crap on the field isn’t going to make it better- especially when nobody understands the show anyway.

Finally some explanation of show design by Andy Toth

• Thanks 1

Tarps on an indoor gym floor, not the same as massive tarps on a cushy outdoor football field. That’s like comparing flag football to nfl football.

12 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Finally some explanation of show design by Andy Toth

People are finally beginning to realize that one of the main reasons BD does their video series is for the judging community, not just viewers. 

• Thanks 2