DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

On 7/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

My favorite moment in San Antonio last night didn't happen on the field. Last night would have been the second year that San Antonio was the "home show" of tuba player Dayton Bryant. He died in a skydiving accident this past Spring. Last night his family was invited into the Cavaliers horn circle to be honored by the Corps. There are multiple images/videos but this one kinda says it all. And for the cherry on top, that's my son conducting the brass line. THIS is Drum Corps to me. I can get as competitive as anyone about numbers on a sheet. But this is the spirit of Drum Corps I fell in love with back in 1978. Couldn't be prouder of the Cavaliers for the way they take care of their own. 

Goodness. Thank you for posting this. What a tragedy, but what a beautiful moment (the kind that only DCI can create). I was instantly taken back to 99 SCV playing Send In the Clowns for the Velarde Family. Both performances moved me to tears. I can only imagine what a bittersweet and heartbreaking moment that was for Dayton’s family.

I’m officially Team Cavies the rest of the way this summer, even if that comes at the expense of my alum corps (BK, in case you couldn’t tell). That was just the video I needed to see tonight after a crap day one of drum camp at my HS 😒. Puts it all back in perspective and makes me so grateful that I am a part of this amazing community. More than anything, just heartfelt thoughts and well wishes to the Bryant Family and the entire Cavies organization. That’s a tough, tough thing to reconcile. I’m sure those boys are performing with a little extra emotion each night for Dayton.

Thank you again for posting (and congrats to your son on being DM!).

• Like 1

Now that I have had time.....I think I'll just wait until August to review everyone at the end.  One thing that really stuck out to me was:

Run and gun while playing is not dead at all.  I was kinda shocked at the amount of downright sprinting and playing that I saw, it was awesome!  You could argue that it is more successful in some shows than in others, but Music City, Madison Scouts, Pacific Crest, Spirit of Atlanta, Crossmen, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Cavaliers, Carolina Crown, Boston Crusaders, and Blue Devils (off the top of my head) all had moments where the athletic and simultaneous demand of what they were doing made me go :63_astonished:.  Bluecoats new ending goes in there too.  I know it's a little bit easy to get distracted by other things and why we might think a show isn't scoring so well, but that part of the activity that a lot seem to think is dead is alive and thriving.  Honestly, the biggest issue is programming.  You can have some really cool sequences and moments, but if the package doesn't work on all levels, those moments aren't going to make up for programming issues.  I have always thought it's not what you do in the show, it's how you do it and how it adds to the total package.  

San Antonio was a blast.  I think this is the best one I've been to top to bottom.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 8