DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Carolina Crown

I’m so bummed that I’ve got tickets for finals in the front and on side 1 and Crown Brass has that opening impact on side 2! 😞

So glad to hear the improvements in their brass sound from last year. I feel like last year was a huge oof from a show design standpoint and this year, they just missed the mark. That’s an improvement to me! I’m usually not a Crown fan in the slightest, but there are a lot of things to like about this show. The music is enjoyable and played at such a high caliber. I enjoy that the majority of this show doesn’t sound like a Crown show and they got a bit more out of their realm. I’d love to see that continue!

I honestly feel like this show is ahead of last year in every way (except maybe percussion). I can’t imagine being a Crown fan and losing that design team. I couldn’t be as patient as them for everything to click, after being a medalist corps for so long. I am continually impressed with their technical ability. They’re ready to medal, they just need the right show package. I’m sure they’ll hit gold soon (but I don’t think they will this year).

Kudos to these performers. While they aren’t going to compete for a title without a different show, these performers do an incredible job performing their show. Their cleanliness deserves to be rewarded a little more than it is, in my opinion. I also love the variety that this show gives us throughout. I feel like they were a little bit limited visually with the front ensemble all but eliminating side 1, but they did a good job with that in mind.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Crown got a standing ovation in our den!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tommynev said:

Did Crown get rid of the see through tops? I missed the first half of their show

They remove headgear and jackets during the ballad. 

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Alright, someone suggested a Crown to Crown drill for the closer.  I'd agree, that'd work wonderfully. 

Been saying it since the beginning!

Just now, tommynev said:

Did Crown get rid of the see through tops? I missed the first half of their show

They take them off in the ballad.

Crown shows that yes you can do demanding drill and demanding music at the same time.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1