DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Just now, MidWAmericanArts said:

8 of the top 9 had a 4th in a subcategory. All of the top 9 had at least one judge ranking them in the top 5.

Its a stronk year

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

That GE score is telling me that Crown better hope for nothing lower than 5th place.

Yeah .. GE is an issue for Crown.. and really BAC has similar problems elsewhere (non-GE). You can’t win with only brass but you also can’t win with only a guard. I dont think anyone had a fantastic run tonight .. maybe nerves .. maybe the big indoor  venue .. maybe working on final changes for next week  .. who knows .. 

1 minute ago, westcoastblue said:

This is EXACTLY what we want recaps to look like this time of year. Too many decades of ordinals matching across the recap. It is rare and nearly impossible to be ranked the same place in every caption. Yes, those that win most likely are great at everything, but such is largely not possible for most corps. 

mostly I was concerned that those judging "the same thing" (GE1,GE2, MA) were not close to each other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Your point has no logic... When 4-5/6 place corps are winning captions.

BD was 5th in brass of all things.  It's a tough world out there and they aren't running away with anything.  Nobody is.  Nobody has a lead... or any signs of caption dominance.  It just isn't in there.

The ultimate goal right now is to keep every caption as high as possible and see how it washes out.

It’s doesn’t matter if you think my point has no logic. Did you ever think you think it has no logic because you have the Bluecoats logo as your picture? No corps in the history of the activity has won without winning a caption and it’s not going to happen this year. If Bluecoats win, they will win because they won GE. If they don’t win GE it’s over, because they are not likely to win Brass, Percussion, Music, Visual or Guard. The writing is on the wall. They absolutely have to win GE to win at finals. 

Betting on BD to be 5th in brass at finals is a fools bet. They are the Blue Devils. They finish better than anyone else.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BWise said:

Yeah .. GE is an issue for Crown.. and really BAC has similar problems elsewhere (non-GE). You can’t win with only brass but you also can’t win with only a guard. I dont think anyone had a fantastic run tonight .. maybe nerves .. maybe the big indoor  venue .. maybe working on final changes for next week  .. who knows .. 

BAC has had percussion issues all year but that’s the first time their brass scores were so low. They had been right up there. Maybe a bad night? I couldn’t tell. 

Edited by Den8uml

1 minute ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

Has that ever happened before at a Regional or a Final? A corps winning overall but not winning a single major caption. I couldn’t imagine the reactions if this was finals night 🤐 I don’t know if I want to call this a rough night or not for Bloo because that’s still somewhat impressive to do what they just did in the recaps, maybe not the best sign but still....

It's a good sign that they are uniformly strong on the sheets.  This isn't about any one corps.  It's a demonstration of 6... maybe as many as 8 corps that have the ability to win a caption.  Extremely competitive.

• Like 4

What an amazing event! I had a wonderful times. The scores are very accurate, every corps has something special to show off. This might be my favorite year since 2015.

• Like 1