DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

3 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Agree with you. Will be a testament of whether they stay status quo and make the kids simply earn whatever performance level they can and leave it alone. Or, be world class designers and come up with solutions to improve the product. I'd like to think it's the second one. We all know BD will be doing that until Finals night... 

I doubt SCV will change anything big picture that they haven’t already planned on changing. They typically have a new ending they put out the last third of the season and that typically doesn’t change their placement much. As much as I would like to see them polish this show into something more (visually) than it is now, the show is what it is at this point. 

They’ve committed to the uniforms, tarps, and design, and they’ll stick with them: trying to amp out execution with what they’ve got.

• Like 2

For my money, it's Crown/Bloo/BAC. Compelling performances. They have something to say. To me, Crown brings the complete package.

BD: Have loved them the past few years; this time around it's sterile brilliance once again. I absolutely cannot fathom their stratospheric GE scores. They are distant, clinical. No sweat or emotion.

SCV: drum corps on a platter. Not too hard to set an arc when it's drawn on the field for you. Like 'em better than BD, but with all the prickly antennae bristling and the shine from the tarps and the blah unis and the neon guard . . . it all kind of hurts the eyes.

Was kinda let down by Cavies, tbh, after hearing so many great things about them during their West Coast Tour. Love their power and their command. Visually it was on the ordinary side.

BK had a strong run, it looked like. Brass in "Liquid" sounded the tightest yet in competition. Kina wonky scores across the captions . . . guard had been beating Mandarins on the W Coast, but tonight was behind; drums were like 0.4 behind BD a week ago, and tonight were a point behind; brass was a whisker 0.05 behind Blue Stars brass, yet MA scores were a combined 1.05 above Stars . . . just lots of turbulence in the captions from corps to corps and show to show. Need to keep cleaning the visual. Oh, and this was the first read of the battery in a dome, and the echo effects in "Hurt" were amazingly effective.

Stars sound very good as usual with that super-well-coached, balanced sound. I think their visual is underscored, and their GE is overscored. I'm just not getting whatever it is they're selling. They're not especially "wild," if that's what they're going for.

Cadets: Just give me those tenors for 11 minutes and I'll be happy. Honestly, their GE is way too high. Behold . . . what, exactly? Nice and clean visual for the first regional. There is a lot of  brass not playing all at once in this show.

The Mandarins vibe just isn't my cup of tea, and I discount them accordingly, and I understand that I am not a judge, so if they say 10th, then 10th it is. But I'll take the Crossmen over Mandies, and Crossmen over Cadets and maybe even over Blue St -- nah, but Xmen are flesh and blood and heart and soul this year, which is a welcome change for them.

Phantom: They impressed me tonight. I think it's absolutely in their power to put pressure on Crossmen and Mandarins.

Will see everyone several times in Indy, so I have to remember that the impression I get from the computer screen may change dramatically when I see them in person. I especially expect to love Cavies when I finally get to see them up close.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

25 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

True. Bloo won fair and square. No excuses. They are the better corps until BD beats them. Just remember SCV fans was saying this same thing last month, then BD ran past them like they was going in reverse. Bloo is straight up boss this year. But there is nothing more terrifying than BD in your rearview mirror gaining ground with a 5th place brass. 

Terrifying? Please, this is band.

No!!!!!

q1AfP8S.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldsnare said:

WOW, that's small for this level corps. They usually march 9 in previous years. 

Cavies started at 8 snares and lost or pretoir and just opted to stay at 7.

2 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

Cadets 13th in brass. Incredible.

They aren't playing enough to score any higher. 🤔

posted from the DrumScorps app

20 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

For my money, it's Crown/Bloo/BAC. Compelling performances. They have something to say. To me, Crown brings the complete package.

BD: Have loved them the past few years; this time around it's sterile brilliance once again. I absolutely cannot fathom their stratospheric GE scores. They are distant, clinical. No sweat or emotion.

SCV: drum corps on a platter. Not too hard to set an arc when it's drawn on the field for you. Like 'em better than BD, but with all the prickly antennae bristling and the shine from the tarps and the blah unis and the neon guard . . . it all kind of hurts the eyes.

Was kinda let down by Cavies, tbh, after hearing so many great things about them during their West Coast Tour. Love their power and their command. Visually it was on the ordinary side.

BK had a strong run, it looked like. Brass in "Liquid" sounded the tightest yet in competition. Kina wonky scores across the captions . . . guard had been beating Mandarins on the W Coast, but tonight was behind; drums were like 0.4 behind BD a week ago, and tonight were a point behind; brass was a whisker 0.05 behind Blue Starts brass, yet MA scores were a combined 1.05 above Stars . . . just lots of turbulence in the captions from corps to corps and show to show. If  

Stars sound very good as usual with that super-well-coached, balanced sound. I think their visual is underscored, and their GE is overscored. I'm just not getting whatever it is they're selling. They're not especially "wild," if that's what they're going for.

Cadets: Just give me those tenors for 11 minutes and I'll be happy. Honestly, their GE is way too high. Behold . . . what, exactly? Nice and clean visual for the first regional. There is a lot of  brass not playing all at once in this show.

The Mandarins vibe just isn't my cup of tea, and I discount them accordingly, and I understand that I am not a judge, so if they say 10th, then 10th it is. But I'll take the Crossmen over Mandies, and Crossmen over Cadets and maybe even over Blue St -- nah, but Xmen are flesh and blood and heart and soul this year, which is a welcome change for them.

Phantom: They impressed me tonight. I think it's absolutely in their power to put pressure on Crossmen and Mandarins.

Will see everyone several times in Indy, so I have to remember that the impression I get from the computer screen may change dramatically when I see them in person.

Ooh boy there's two corps in the top 5 that I'd describe as "sterile excellence," BD isn't one of them 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Cheers to the brass, percussion, and guard judges in particular for shaking things up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, year1buick said:

Super bummed I missed the show. My daughter and I were on the way but I had to make a little side trip to the ER. (She got a friend to take her.) I couldn’t even watch on Flo because of, well, twelve hours of misery. But I’m feeling better now. Hopefully next year! 

Fans these days are just going soft. Back in my day, we didn’t let little things like medical emergencies stop us from going to a show. These are not “real” drum corps fans!

Obviously kidding. Hope all is well.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:

88.863 for 4th at this point? That seems very high.

Last year Crown was 4th at San Antonio with a score of 90.0875.

• Like 1