DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Predicting finals night can be simple.  IT'S THE JUDGING PANEL.   Look at  who the panel is and their past history (point spreads) between each corps. That can tell who wins.  Judges tend not to change their "opinions" much once a pattern is set.  Did this analysis when the panel was announced for finals, the year Crown won.   Was off by one or two tenths between 1 and 2 for finals night.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the most musically satisfying moments for me last night was the theme from "Chinatown", done by ( I think) Pacific Crest..My favorite corps is going through growing pains so I need to find beauty wherever I can..thank you PC

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

And this is what makes BD the most dangerous corps on the planet. Because they can consistently score high in all captions better than anyone year in year out. 

Absolutely... No doubt.

They could win it all while placing 2nd and 3rd in all captions (like the other, more consistent drumcorps of this season did tonight).

That's my point, and my only point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 27Socal said:

Agree, except for perc.  I think it's 1 of 1 has a chance to win perc.  SCV.   How many times have they lost this year?  1 or 2?   Lately?  The pattern is set.

Ehh.

This comparison of statistics across years has minimal application.  It's the stuff that pre-season predictions are made of.  We are in the season now, and those predictors mean nothing.

SCV has proven their drum dominance at some shows and they have been beaten at others (by multiple opponents).  Many of the captions are going that way.  These are the relevant statistics of the 'here and now'.

These shows aren't throw away events... unworthy of finals night comparison.

They show trend, and the trends are super 'jumpy' in some places.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

BD 5th in brass?Boston 8th in percussion and Mandarins in 14th? Cadets visual numbers? cadets 13th in brass. this is going to be a wild season.

Its been wild already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Its been wild already.

Yes,  Bloo percussion going from 3rd to 6th to 2nd against virtually the same competition class in 3 shows, shows something.  I just don't know what.

• Like 1

Let's see if I can the rest of these to post from my viewing partner...

The Cadets - 7/10 -- loved the whole performance and then it went down when the "do better" part happened

Blue Knights - 7/10 --  ...I remember nothing about this performance

Blue Stars - 8/10 --  good show, it all flowed, I was entertained, "when you they're supposed to be in a straight line, they were in a straight line"

The Cavaliers - 9.1/10 --  most emotion, cohesive

Carolina Crown - 9.5/10 --  so quick, so much happened, they are great

Boston Crusaders - 9/8/10 --  best show, best music, best everything so far

The Bluecoats --  I feel like none of my scores count now. That was amazing.

Santa Clara Vanguard --  That was a 10 and nothing else counts. That was a show!

Blue Devils --  Least favorite of the top 3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just want to jump in here to say Santa Clara’s tarps really damaged my enjoyment watching them on Flo. Maybe it’s better in person, but I doubt it. The glare is distracting, of course, but so is the dominance of pattern. The effect of such a giant circle was overwhelming my concentration. Whatever movements the performers presented were fogged out of mind. This is what I assume Macular Degenerative disease to be, as folks describe that condition. 

Still, I like SCV’s music better than all the rest and hope they find a way to a podium finish.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Let's see if I can the rest of these to post from my viewing partner...

The Cadets - 7/10 -- loved the whole performance and then it went down when the "do better" part happened

Blue Knights - 7/10 --  ...I remember nothing about this performance

Blue Stars - 8/10 --  good show, it all flowed, I was entertained, "when you they're supposed to be in a straight line, they were in a straight line"

The Cavaliers - 9.1/10 --  most emotion, cohesive

Carolina Crown - 9.5/10 --  so quick, so much happened, they are great

Boston Crusaders - 9/8/10 --  best show, best music, best everything so far

The Bluecoats --  I feel like none of my scores count now. That was amazing.

Santa Clara Vanguard --  That was a 10 and nothing else counts. That was a show!

Blue Devils --  Least favorite of the top 3

Yes...my least favorite of the 'BIG THREE" is BD..not that it's a poor performance but moreover I feel it to be TOO SAFE AND FORMULAIC..GE aside, the music didn't move me and this observation about music can be made about most of the top tier corps..IMHO..peace

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Predicting finals night can be simple.  IT'S THE JUDGING PANEL.   Look at  who the panel is and their past history (point spreads) between each corps. That can tell who wins.  Judges tend not to change their "opinions" much once a pattern is set.  Did this analysis when the panel was announced for finals, the year Crown won.   Was off by one or two tenths between 1 and 2 for finals night.

Good. When the time comes please save us all the grief and make the mathematical prediction for semis (I care because I will be there) and finals.