DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Just now, Spatzzz said:

I'd say SCV this year is championship level design. It may not win but you can't argue it isn't championship level and you sure as heck can't argue with the credentials of the design staff.

If you think that tarp is going to make this a gold medal show then I will bet my house and all my kids lives and wait to see who is right. If anything it will push them out of the medals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Spatzzz said:

I'd say SCV this year is championship level design. It may not win but you can't argue it isn't championship level and you sure as heck can't argue with the credentials of the design staff.

I might want to argue that it's a top 3 design.  

Just now, MikeRapp said:

If you think that tarp is going to make this a gold medal show then I will bet my house and all my kids lives and wait to see who is right. If anything it will push them out of the medals.

I just can't see who can catch them.  Each meeting with Cavies, extends SCV lead over them.  Don't see the momentum, as you might see with BD catching Bloo.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

I just can't see who can catch them.  Each meeting with Cavies, extends SCV lead over them.  Don't see the momentum, as you might see with BD catching Bloo.

Their drums and brass execution is so so high. May be just too good to be caught by Crown, Boston or Cavies. Cavies actually have the chops but not the show.

• Like 1

The pendulum swings wildly in this activity, I must say.  You can have zero drum corps championships and poof you’re designing shows.  

OTOH, unless you have rings, you are not allowed to have an opinion.  

Okay, I got it. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

So now we have to have rings to have an opinion?  What a load of crap. 

Ugh, it really is hard to believe that Michael Gaines actually thought the tarps would work under the lights, or that that drill is somehow made better by them.

Early 2000's me is extra disappointed in him.

Frankly all I can think is that those tarps really need some Preparation H...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ShortAndFast said:

I have read/watched literally 0 of BD's info about their show but ... a "ghostlight" is the light the last person to leave a theater puts on stage. The ghostlight is turned on at the beginning (when the field is seemingly empty) and the show is what the ghosts do while the light is on. That's why we hear a bunch of Shakespeare quotes, and snippets from past BD shows and such. I thought it was reasonably clear as BD themes go.

The real head-scratchers for me theme-wise in the top 6 are SCV (I couldn't tell you a single way in which a "voice of destruction" is depicted in their show) and Crown.

If you say  Ghostlight is clear ok .. but I’m guessing most people do not have your intimate knowledge of the actions in and around a ghost light   💡.. 

Agree on SCV and CC  .. Crown is my favorite but for me they’ve struggled in many shows to make a clear statement on the show concept  ..  idk  just me