Barneveld

DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, bchorn said:

This lineup order is confusing.  The press release for last year's Southwestern Championship lineup included the following blurb. 

Once seeded in score order, corps were randomly drawn within groups of three (First through third, fourth through sixth, etc.)

However, this year's press release doesn't include such a blurb.  Did they change the rules for determine lineup order? 

Plus, on the rankings tab, Blue Devils are currently listed fourth...so shouldn't they be in second to last group of performers?  Or is the score average from the entire season used to determine lineup order?

 

If they made it easy to figure out, what would we argue about here on DCP? 😉

Seriously -- I think they did some score averaging before racking/stacking/randomizing which put BD in the first threesome. And I think the averaging is specific shows, not just their last 3.  Just guessing here. 

Edited by CrownBariDad
More on averaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CrownBariDad said:

If they made it easy to figure out, what would we argue about here on DCP? 😉

Seriously -- I think they did some score averaging before racking/stacking/randomizing which put BD in the first threesome. 

Also, if you use the most recent scores as of Saturday night rather than after last night's show, BD is (barely) third.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

If they made it easy to figure out, what would we argue about here on DCP? 😉

Seriously -- I think they did some score averaging before racking/stacking/randomizing which put BD in the first threesome. And I think the averaging is specific shows, not just their last 3.  Just guessing here. 

BD has been known to pull the "well we go on last because we won ....  last year" card to their advantage many times. Check the history books.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a repeat from what I said in a different thread...

 

"The scores being used for San Antonio are from the following three shows: Dekalb, Denver, and Memphis. However, since Denver was rained out, the last score earned by corps participating in the Denver show was used. This left BD 3rd overall in the seedings and so BD ended up in the first overall grouping with SCV and Bluecoats." 

 

This isn't the first time one of the three shows used for San Antonio seeding was rained out. The situation was handled the exact same way as previous years. This isn't new. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As a repeat from what I said in a different thread...

"The scores being used for San Antonio are from the following three shows: Dekalb, Denver, and Memphis. However, since Denver was rained out, the last score earned by corps participating in the Denver show was used. This left BD 3rd overall in the seedings and so BD ended up in the first overall grouping with SCV and Bluecoats." 

This isn't the first time one of the three shows used for San Antonio seeding was rained out. The situation was handled the exact same way as previous years. This isn't new. 

Something similar happened last year when the Friday night Allentown show was cancelled, although in that case scores from Allentown were not used at all for the Prelims lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As a repeat from what I said in a different thread...

 

"The scores being used for San Antonio are from the following three shows: Dekalb, Denver, and Memphis. However, since Denver was rained out, the last score earned by corps participating in the Denver show was used. This left BD 3rd overall in the seedings and so BD ended up in the first overall grouping with SCV and Bluecoats." 

 

This isn't the first time one of the three shows used for San Antonio seeding was rained out. The situation was handled the exact same way as previous years. This isn't new. 

Should this be re-evaluated and changed for this year with corps such as Crossmen and Cadets not receiving numbers from FULL PANELS in over a week as Miss Baritone so well pointed out in speaking of the consequences of the lightning storm in Denver; there are corps, your favorites included, whose numbers have only come from full panels. To me, it seems to disadvantage some while others are getting full credit/all captions evaluation. Crossmen don't get fullest credit for their fine color guard, Allentown for their persuasive percussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Should this be re-evaluated and changed for this year with corps such as Crossmen and Cadets not receiving numbers from FULL PANELS in over a week as Miss Baritone so well pointed out in speaking of the consequences of the lightning storm in Denver; there are corps, your favorites included, whose numbers have only come from full panels. To me, it seems to disadvantage some while others are getting full credit/all captions evaluation. Crossmen don't get fullest credit for their fine color guard, Allentown for their persuasive percussion.

What do you suggest? Nothing can be done to predict weather one year out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Has been the case at Regionals and Championships since 2018. For a few years before that, the Percussion caption used to have 2 judges on it (one from the field and one from the press box).

What strikes me as odd about these particular judges is that they both have a brass background. Wasn't the point of the doubled MA panel so that there would be one percussion and one brass judge involved for a more holistic view of the caption?

Jay Kennedy is a regular percussion judge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brassboy said:

Jay Kennedy is a regular percussion judge.

OK, maybe I'm getting his background mixed up because he was the brass arranger for Boston Crusaders for several seasons before Ryan George took over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.