DCI Southwestern Championship (San Antonio) - Saturday, July 20, 2019

Also, it's not the stage that bothers me as much as the size of the backdrop.  I get what they're doing there to hide people coming on and off the stage and provide a full color background to the performers on it, but its just a visual black hole that draws the eye.  At the start when they're in the black uniforms, it's less so, but in the full color, it becomes a bit of an eyesore.   Perhaps if they work a change to a white background with the color changes it'd work more for me.  I recall the white stages with backdrops used by the Raiders and SCVC in past years and they didn't seem to bother me as much as that wall of black.

15 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Did anyone else just leave San Diego Comic Con to come back to their hotel to watch drum corps?

It strikes me how today’s drum corps costumes would fit in with Comic Con cosplay.  

Soooo lucky to be at ComicCon!!

Note to Spirit: Don't hide behind props for half the show next year. You've already used up your quota by doing it twice in a row.

• Like 3

Just now, garfield said:

Shouldn't your wife be mowing the yard or something?

:tongue:

Nope -- taking it easy this year.  Minor knee issues so off Tour this season.  She WILL be back next year, OR ELSE!  (J/K)

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Enjoyment yeah, relative difficulty and quality of performance I think there's been an uptick

I think I agree, but that's been the subject of a fair amount of debate over the past week or so, as shown by cfirwin's video threads and the drill vs. choreography poll.

But even if it's true, what does that tell us? Maybe that certain kinds of technical achievement mean nothing to audiences.

Again I point to figure skating: no skater claims it was easy to precisely skate figures whose accuracy was measured up close by judges. But no one in the audience could tell which skater was the best, so they got rid of it.