El Dorado, KS - Monday, JUly 15, 2019

This is how I see the races for their respect positions.

XTvClL1.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeffe77 said:

This is how I see the races for their respect positions.

XTvClL1.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Can't argue with your groupings, just wish "my" Corps were doing better. Haha!

8 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Spread at the top is actually a lot smaller than I expected, same as the last time they met in Cali I believe. Tomorrow is gonna be tight   

Also 7 - 11 might turn out to be a cluster f......ight.  I love the tight scores!  

Yes. Such a coincidence that BD and Bloo have the exact same score going into tonight. Adds to the excitement and suspense.

Given the recent spreads between SCV and Bloo I think that the Bluecoats will come out on top...for tonight. 

As for the 7-11 heap...their scores are close but not razor thin margins. Way to go BK on killing it for music! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh. Hadn't heard about this yet. Hmm.

Four problems I have with tarps:

1. If the surface is shiny, they often reflect light up to the stands, so that whatever image they're meant to show gets lost in a glare.

2. They often look wrinkled, i.e., sloppy and cheap.

3. Performers often trip on them (e.g. Cavaliers last year). If nobody ever does, I suppose that demonstrates visual proficiency, but is it worth it?

4. Going back as far as Blue Devils' "Tommy" show in 1990, they often bear no relation to the drill. The forms move over them as if they weren't there. A big exception, one of the few times that tarps were effective, is Blue Stars' "Where the Heart Is" in 2014, in which, once they got it clean, the drill worked entirely around and through the blueprint design without stepping on it. Does SCV's drill either stay on or stay off these tarps? Or at least make it clear to the audience why someone is on or off them? If not, what's the point?

Troopers 17 show had a cool use of tarps with members sparring on them.

The tarps help the show for me. The grey uniform really is unappealing in and of itself and additionally gets lost on the green grass. The tarps help define much of their staging and forms. It is clear the show was written with them in mind. In the dome, most of the glare will go away. That said, not sure it is worth a tenth. The tarps help the show for me. The grey uniform really is unappealing in and of itself and additionally gets lost on the green grass. The tarps help define much of their staging and forms. It is clear the show was written with them in mind. In the dome, most of the glare will go away. That said, not sure it is worth a tenth. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Their guard scores have been running consistently higher than their guard scores in 2018, even when you include tonight's score. They've also been running ahead of Mandarins. Maybe they had a bad show tonight, maybe it was the brutal sun at that time of day, or maybe they just ran into that one judge on that one night, who knows.

BK's VA scores passed by Mandarins a week ago. And their VP score continues to maintain a healthy spread over Mandies. They've caught Crossmen and Cadets in overall visual, and in VP they're beating Xmen by a good spread and have just passed up Cadets. BK's VA and VP scores are a good measure above where they were a year ago. By all the usual measures, as well was what the eye can tell, BK is not "struggling in the visual department." Still room to improve, sure.

Just because they're above what they were last year doesn't mean the visual isn't struggling relative to the rest of the corps 

56 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

In the dome, most of the glare will go away.

Incorrect. Blue Stars' construction tarps were all but invisible in Lucas last year and whatever big one Crossmen used in a previous year was a blinding mess of white glare. 

Until the vendors develop a matte coating of some sort, these things are never going to work as intended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Well that spread is wafer thin. .

mrcreosotethemeani_2882255b.jpg

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just because they're above what they were last year doesn't mean the visual isn't struggling relative to the rest of the corps 

BK is currently tied with The Cadets for 7th in Visual and they finished last year 10th in visual. 

37 minutes ago, Minimaster said:

BK is currently tied with The Cadets for 7th in Visual and they finished last year 10th in visual. 

So now we're using a corps that canned their drill writer right before the season started as a benchmark for visual success? 

BK is doing fantastic in all of their captions but you can't deny that the visual side is lagging behind everything else, again

• Like 1