El Dorado, KS - Monday, JUly 15, 2019

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I did.  It’s a Baldacci book that I haven’t read. 

There’s five books in the Decker series.  Just downloaded the latest one (Redemption) on Overdrive.  Great character.

• Like 1

I'm continuously baffled by why the massive reflective glare on these (and all) tarps doesn't ever seem to bother the designers. No matter what color or design is printed on them, at least a third of it always gets wiped out by a blinding white flash. 

How is that effective design? You have to pretend like it isn't happening?

They can work in smaller indoor environments with different lighting and viewing angle conditions, but outdoors (or in a domed stadium)? Yeeesh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

Seems like a potential tripping hazard, considering most of their "drill" takes place on that center tarp.  

The vertical props will help keep them down and I don’t recall if they do any hard drill in that area.

1 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Just now, DrumManTx said:

2010 in Ogden.  I went insane that night because I was but a young DCI fan.  It was exciting.  

Good God, how do you remember this stuff? 😂 

I remembered, no offense to BK, but that was the bottom. Then came the calvary the following years with Shaw and Rennick. 2010 was a tough season for Vanguard.

posted from the DrumScorps app

45 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

Another angle:

Oh. Hadn't heard about this yet. Hmm.

Four problems I have with tarps:

1. If the surface is shiny, they often reflect light up to the stands, so that whatever image they're meant to show gets lost in a glare.

2. They often look wrinkled, i.e., sloppy and cheap.

3. Performers often trip on them (e.g. Cavaliers last year). If nobody ever does, I suppose that demonstrates visual proficiency, but is it worth it?

4. Going back as far as Blue Devils' "Tommy" show in 1990, they often bear no relation to the drill. The forms move over them as if they weren't there. A big exception, one of the few times that tarps were effective, is Blue Stars' "Where the Heart Is" in 2014, in which, once they got it clean, the drill worked entirely around and through the blueprint design without stepping on it. Does SCV's drill either stay on or stay off these tarps? Or at least make it clear to the audience why someone is on or off them? If not, what's the point?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I'm continuously baffled by why the massive reflective glare on these (and all) tarps doesn't ever seem to bother the designers. No matter what color or design is printed on them, at least a third of it always gets wiped out by a blinding white flash. 

How is that effective design? You have to pretend like it isn't happening?

They can work in smaller indoor environments with different lighting and viewing angle conditions, but outdoors (or in a domed stadium)? Yeeesh. 

What he said.

Also does anyone know if GE judges ever complain about this?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I agree the recaps are fascinating. So it's 3 horse race between BD, Bloo and SCV. Congrats BD tonight. SCV continuing their percussion domination.

I look forward to seeing how the tarps will translate on video this weekend.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Oh. Hadn't heard about this yet. Hmm.

Four problems I have with tarps:

1. If the surface is shiny, they often reflect light up to the stands, so that whatever image they're meant to show gets lost in a glare.

2. They often look wrinkled, i.e., sloppy and cheap.

3. Performers often trip on them (e.g. Cavaliers last year). If nobody ever does, I suppose that demonstrates visual proficiency, but is it worth it?

4. Going back as far as Blue Devils' "Tommy" show in 1990, they often bear no relation to the drill. The forms move over them as if they weren't there. A big exception, one of the few times that tarps were effective, is Blue Stars' "Where the Heart Is" in 2014, in which, once they got it clean, the drill worked entirely around and through the blueprint design without stepping on it. Does SCV's drill either stay on or stay off these tarps? Or at least make it clear to the audience why someone is on or off them? If not, what's the point?

You're right about BD 1990. Interesting side note, they rehearsed without the tarp, even at the final run through, they had no tarp. Is that the case with SCV this season?

Edited by Jeffe77

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

That was Bartok, ended up 7th.  

I LOVE that BK show.  Just straight up good music and drill.  Still my favorite arrangement of Farandole on the field.  

As I recall, BK's 2010 show didn't have a title until the season was underway, and when it started being announced as "Europa", people were surprised. Until that point, it looked like there would be two shows that year without a title.