Poll - How much have/will you spend on drum corps this year?

How much money will you spend on drum corps this year?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. How many dollars do you anticipate spending on drum corps this year (2019)?

• 0-100
    • 101-250
    • 251-500
    • 501-1,000
    • 1,001-2,500
    • 2,501-5,000
    • 5,001-10,000
    • 10,000 - 20,000
    • More than 20,000
  2. 2. On what specifically have you spent/do you intend to spend money?

• Show tickets
    • Tuition - my own or support another person
    • Directly financially support a specific drum corps
    • Directly financially support DCI
    • Merchandise (clothing, media, bric-brac)
    • Livestream (Flomarching, Theater events)
    • Drum corps vacation (lodging/airline tickets, etc.)
    • Other
  3. 3. Compared to last year (2018), will you spend more, less, or about the same on drum corps this year (2019)?

• Significantly more
    • Slightly more
    • About the same
    • Slightly less
    • Significantly less

About the same. Doing serious travel, more than an overnight isn't in the family schedule, so most are shows that can be driven to in 2 hours or less, with one overnight stay

I included expenses of Allentown and Indy in my answer. I’m not purchasing corps souvenirs this year, or do not expect to make too many purchases. It has nothing to do with the corps. I need to downsize a bit so I’m limiting purchases. I donate to three corps directly and do feel that I get bang for the buck by supporting drum corps. 

• Like 3

Very interesting poll.  I’m down to one tuition payment this year versus two for the past 4 years.  I’m betting I’ll be back up to two next year again...

I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw how much it cost to march a corps these days. Around $3500, not including spending cash. I recall several people struggling just to pay the $600 tour fees of the mid-90's, myself included. Not sure how kids are doing it these days, especially those too young to work part-time jobs. 

1 minute ago, LyricalCoder said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw how much it cost to march a corps these days. Around $3500, not including spending cash. 

Don't forget the additional money spent travelling to auditions and future camps.  For some, a full year might be over $6K.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Don't forget the additional money spent traveling to auditions and future camps.  For some, a full year might be over $6K.

Good point. And cost of housing during all-days if your corps doesn't provide it as part of the package. I guess I can understand why it's so much more expensive these days, with many programs losing their bingo operations, etc. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still outrageous. I would love for my son to march this next season, but not sure we can swing the costs. 

No shows for me this year (and probably for a while until grad school + residency are over) but I am paying for Flo and I donate to Phantom via Amazon's service where you can choose to donate a certain amount of your purchase whenever you make a purchase on their specific website 

• Like 1

I’m spending significantly less this year because for the first time in 11 years, I’m not going to Finals. It just happened to be the time when my son and I could take a trip and tour some colleges. I’m still going to watch finals on Flo. I’m a bit sad, but got to go to Menomonie and see a live show at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LyricalCoder said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little when I saw how much it cost to march a corps these days. Around $3500, not including spending cash. I recall several people struggling just to pay the $600 tour fees of the mid-90's, myself included. Not sure how kids are doing it these days, especially those too young to work part-time jobs. 

We’ve been with 2 different WC corps recently, and I think a fair estimate of cost for each performer is at least $5K.  And that doesn’t get you any tickets to watch.

• Like 1