• SCV
    • BD
    • Bluecoats
    • Other Corps

8 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Anyone who voted anything other than BD is in denial 🙂 

Homer!  😜

6 hours ago, jsd said:

Bloo has a ceiling to this year's show. I don't see where else it can grow/expand/evolve in the next month. SCV has too many obstacles to overcome. BD wins again. 

There are large chunks of visual that can (and probably will) be replaced.

Visual is the concern with BD... If Bloo can grow 1 or 2 10 second spots in their design... then they will probably have it.

SCV is the benchmark between the 2 blue corps.  In the past year(s) where Bloo seemed to plateau, there was no benchmark reference.  There was only the assumption of success due to isolated tour schedules.  Thankfully, SCV (and Cavaliers) have been getting around.

• Like 2

Santa Clara Vanguard from Memphis on Flo was dynamite. I'll be shocked if they don't finish 1 or 2.  But . . . . I voted Blue Devils to win by  .1 over SCV .

Edited by Fred Windish

8 hours ago, NakedEye said:

They have an unmatched ability to turn it on when it counts the most, and have probably their best complete package of a show since 2014 this year. 

Bloo MIGHT do it, but they also had a wonderfully immersive theme show last year and couldn't quite seal the deal. Perhaps they have learned from that?

I agree that Bloo had a better show last year, though I am blown away by Bloo this year, so this is more a compliment to Bluecoats and not a dig. However, there are a few things to keep in mind. One, Bluecoats have been slightly ahead of where they were at this time last year, which gives this year’s show some credibility. Two, while BD and SCV have been going back and forth, Bloo is undefeated at this point. Tonight’s Broken Arrow match up will be interesting, and where anything can happen between now and Saturday, I see Bloo as having the advantage but there will be no heart failures on my part if it turns out to be SCV or BD.

• Like 2

So Bluecoats will undoubtedly debut a new ending to the show, so they have that up their sleeve, So concerns about early plateau are quelled there.. The staff will need to make sure they hold that in their pocket until just the right moment, Maybe even as late as Prelims... to maximize its effect.

But BD is innovating where it counts. Visual Design and usage of Props. No one has ever done what they are doing with those props.

At the very top of the GE captions you have to innovate to max out the GE captions and BD is doing just that. The same thing that Bluecoats did in their championship run that separated them from the rest. Also BD's Percussion and Guard are strong enough that they will be either 1st or 2nd in both of those captions. 

Bluecoats will have to do something that hasn't been done in quite a while and innovate in the use of Music to maximize the GE of a show, The difference between BD and Bluecoats visually is significant enough that it will be hard to overcome in the numbers in the end.

• Like 5

It is going to be interesting tonight with the top 3 having scored in the same ballpark over the course of a few days with overlapping competition.

Ethier it's going to be very tight 3 ways at the top... Or...

We will get 2 (or 3) simultaneous scoring discrepancies:

- 1 or 2 corps make a huge leap overnight (1-2 full points)

and/or

- 1 or 2 corps lose point value from the night before.

The scenario where the scores are tight seems more likely... if the second scenario happens, it's going to get ugly on the forums.

35 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So Bluecoats will undoubtedly debut a new ending to the show, so they have that up their sleeve, So concerns about early plateau are quelled there.. The staff will need to make sure they hold that in their pocket until just the right moment, Maybe even as late as Prelims... to maximize its effect.

But BD is innovating where it counts. Visual Design and usage of Props. No one has ever done what they are doing with those props.

At the very top of the GE captions you have to innovate to max out the GE captions and BD is doing just that. The same thing that Bluecoats did in their championship run that separated them from the rest. Also BD's Percussion and Guard are strong enough that they will be either 1st or 2nd in both of those captions. 

Bluecoats will have to do something that hasn't been done in quite a while and innovate in the use of Music to maximize the GE of a show, The difference between BD and Bluecoats visually is significant enough that it will be hard to overcome in the numbers in the end.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that analysis.

Edit: although that's a technical read on technical issues.  GE is often mystical... dealing with 'cohesiveness' of ideas and 'connection' to the audience.  'Innovation' doesn't always touch these issues.

Edited by cfirwin3

Let's not forget "spoiler corps' while BAC may not be in the conversation in the conversation here for Gold, they could well take guard.  Crown may run for the Ott. And, despite the general rise in drum lines, I don't think the Stanford is leaving Santa Clara.

So in a year where a caption or two may be pulled away from the eventual winner by a corps who is down a few slots, the scores could run pretty tight.

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Let's not forget "spoiler corps' while BAC may not be in the conversation in the conversation here for Gold, they could well take guard.  Crown may run for the Ott. And, despite the general rise in drum lines, I don't think the Stanford is leaving Santa Clara.

So in a year where a caption or two may be pulled away from the eventual winner by a corps who is down a few slots, the scores could run pretty tight.

While Stanford and Santa Clara are very close to each other in location, I don't think Stanford has actually ever been in Santa Clara 

• Haha 5