So - who's winning?

So - who's winning?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. 2019 Champion Will Be...

• SCV
    • BD
    • Bluecoats
    • Other Corps

I would love to see Bluecoats win; they're my favorite corps. However this is my favorite BD show in recent memory and I think it's going to to be well-received by judges and pull ahead going into the finals stretch. There is a lot of great content in both shows... could go either way and I wouldn't be angry. 

Could also see SCV win and annoying everybody. It's interesting seeing so many people turning against SCV after 1 post championship show... 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Well it's more worth considering how the creation of a large margin between the presumed top 3 tonight would require a significant scoring discrepancy to occur.  Either a group will have to make an unusual jump in point acquisition or a group will have to lose point value.

So, given the general scarcity of either of those instances... yes, it is probably safe to assume that the general point values across shows have been reliable to demonstrate that 3 corps are closely contending and captions will be tight.

I think spread opens up tonight. With two corps you can jumble up the ordinals to create an equal representation of the corps strengths. But with three corps, things get very tricky The ordinals would have to be a complete mess to have three corps score equally across the different captions.

But it is frowned upon by the judging community to give the same score to two corps. So all the judges will have a clear order to their scores, They would not give an 18 to two corps, They would instead give a 18.1 and an 18.0 to two corps that they would judge to be almost equal.

You spread this .1 difference in scores across 9 judges and the gaps start to open up

The regionals with 11 or 12 judges is where you start to see the scores close up because there is normally a big difference in opinion between the 4 GE judges and they can sway the scoring big towards the group they like the most that day. 

....Just realized I posted this here, I thought for some reason this was the BA show tread for tonight.. Oh well still a valid discussion to have.. 

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I think spread opens up tonight. With two corps you can jumble up the ordinals to create an equal representation of the corps strengths. But with three corps, things get very tricky The ordinals would have to be a complete mess to have three corps score equally across the different captions.

But it is frowned upon by the judging community to give the same score to two corps. So all the judges will have a clear order to their scores, They would not give an 18 to two corps, They would instead give a 18.1 and an 18.0 to two corps that they would judge to be almost equal.

You spread this .1 difference in scores across 9 judges and the gaps start to open up

The regionals with 11 or 12 judges is where you start to see the scores close up because there is normally a big difference in opinion between the 4 GE judges and they can sway the scoring big towards the group they like the most that day. 

....Just realized I posted this here, I thought for some reason this was the BA show tread for tonight.. Oh well still a valid discussion to have.. 

if last nights recap from El Dorado shows anything, it seems that the judges are truly judging their sheet. that makes for some very interesting contest dynamics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if last nights recap from El Dorado shows anything, it seems that the judges are truly judging their sheet. that makes for some very interesting contest dynamics

Truly great to see,

A testament to the quality of the corps nowadays... The corps are all well versed in DCI politics and what works for them and scoring, and they are seemingly using it this year.. 

BD's slow rollout of the show was definitely intentional.. 

SCV's Withholding the Tarp until now and the true ending is intentional...

Bluecoats witholding of the true ending is also intentional.. 

The judges also haven't made up their minds or are putting their elbows out as well to establish the order amongst themselves.. Given their own tastes and the wide offering of styles being offered by the top corps this year it would be easy to see how the judges who judge the show will matter as much as how well the corps perform at the regionals to determine who wins. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

PS, Crown has been beaten in brass this season by SCV. And Bloo has beaten SCV in brass so I don't think Crown is the de facto favorite for the Ott like they are most years. 

BD and BAC haven't met up just yet so it remains to be seen how guard goes down, BD and BAC have been strong in that caption thus far 

Oh nothing is a foregone conclusion regarding brass but it wouldn’t be out of character for Crown to charge up in that caption. 

And yeah. No head to head on the BD and BAC guard yet, and BD tends to layer and grow their guard all the way to finals. So nothings determined. 

I’m just pointing to possibilities that captions may end up all over the place on any given night meaning the pathway to a win could be interestingly complex. A winner with less captions than the silver could happen here rather than the sort of “pull away” winner we usually see

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I remember a good many posters said this in 2016. How did that turn out?

Turned out pretty well for me. (I don't think I said that in 2016.) Only my second time ever attending Finals, with amazing seats, and Bluecoats won.

• Like 2

Who's winning?  Us the fans that's who.  

I have not been more excited during the season in awhile as I am this year.  The designs are phenomenal up and down the line.  The competition is of course adding to the excitement but I am not too concerned about that this year.  I'd be happy if BD, Coats, or SCV win.  BD's show is evolving and something to see live and will keep changing up to Indy.  SCV's show is growing on me a lot.  This is the show so far I have been listening to non-stop for a couple weeks now.  Great moments throughout and I feel one of those shows everyone will appreciate after the season is over.  I have yet to see the Bluecoats live yet, but their show is killer.  I'm loving the whole production.  Not to mention Crown, Crusaders and Cavies who all have a chance to step up and upset some of the groups above.  Cavies show is amazing and full of energy.  It was my favorite when they were touring out west.  You could see where they were falling behind but that show is knock out good.  

Then you have awesome designs by BK, Crossmen and Mandarins this year.  Not to mention Pacific Crest and Jersey Surf who have fabulous shows, their best in years.  

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone in Indy.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

So Bluecoats will undoubtedly debut a new ending to the show, so they have that up their sleeve, So concerns about early plateau are quelled there.. The staff will need to make sure they hold that in their pocket until just the right moment, Maybe even as late as Prelims... to maximize its effect.

But BD is innovating where it counts. Visual Design and usage of Props. No one has ever done what they are doing with those props.

At the very top of the GE captions you have to innovate to max out the GE captions and BD is doing just that. The same thing that Bluecoats did in their championship run that separated them from the rest. Also BD's Percussion and Guard are strong enough that they will be either 1st or 2nd in both of those captions. 

Bluecoats will have to do something that hasn't been done in quite a while and innovate in the use of Music to maximize the GE of a show, The difference between BD and Bluecoats visually is significant enough that it will be hard to overcome in the numbers in the end.

Good points, and I agree with most of this.  I think at this point the one thing we can all agree on is this: the winner will likely be BD, Bloo, or SCV. The other 3 who make up the top 6 are fantastic this year, but I would be shocked if they push into the top 3. 

For the most part I am a Bluecoats supporter and fan. I've been living in North Canton for close to 20 years now, so my heart is with the home team. I grew up a huge fan of Garfield in the 80s and will always love The Cadets. But I also grew-up in total awe and respect for the Blue Devils and Santa Clara. My heart says the home team has the goods and can win this year. 

The Bluecoats have been spectacular all season and we are fortunate to have a corps like the 'Coats who have come out with excellent design and performance every years since 2014. They have an amazing design team that really knows how to program, and their teaching staff has these kids performing incredibly well. They are a force for sure.

The Blue Devils have amazing championship pedigree, as we all know. But in particular the BD of the last 5 or 6 years is somewhat different. They design differently, build from the bottom up, and they really know how to showcase the talents of their members and sections. I love their show this year as much as I love Bloo. I really like SCV's show this year, too, but not as much as last year (which I thought was one of the all-time great shows). I am not wild about their color pallet this year nor the use of props. Music is great. To me this will likely be a fight between BD and Bluecoats.

Glenn426 posted some advantages that BD has over Bloo. GE could be one, and Visual may be another. Overall, however, Bloo at this point in time has the better constructed show by a smidge. BD still has not fully worked out their transitions between scenes (still a lot of clutter), and the closer after the clogging/hand drumming segment needs work musically and visually. The closing of their show feels underwhelming, in part because the rest of that BD production is spectacular.  I predict a dogfight. If BD comes up with the right changes/tweaks, then they may have an advantage; but the same is true for Bloo. 

And, of course, now that I called for it to be Bloo and BD in the #1 or #2 spots, SCV will win by .1 over both. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Still do, but they've given the other designers a blueprint for success  

Maybe. But the era of Drum Corps Stage Shows at the top of the food chain really is a Bluecoats thing.

But, playing to the sheets...  Yes, no one ever did it better than BD.   No mistake, BD pushed the activity more than any corps ever has. However, in recent years, I get the sense the torch has been passed to Bluecoats. It's up to someone else to come up with the "next best thing".  SCV is on to something. There's a look at feel to their last 3 shows that stands out among their peers. Even still, SCV's is not doing anything unique to what's ever been done before.