So - who's winning?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. 2019 Champion Will Be...

• SCV
    • BD
    • Bluecoats
    • Other Corps

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

But BD is innovating where it counts. Visual Design and usage of Props. No one has ever done what they are doing with those props.

I have a friend who joins me for one or two shows each year and for a long time has complained about most corps' props: that they are way underutilized, typically serving only one purpose and then are dropped I think he'd like these a lot. A pity he almost certainly won't get to see them (unless I can convince him to go down to Centerville).

6 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

But BD is innovating where it counts. Visual Design and usage of Props. No one has ever done what they are doing with those props.

What I love about those props is they are so "form follows function." They are completely USED, as flats, doors, slides/slopes and platforms, and then multiple different ways while in each of those positions. Just minimal decoration and complete flexibility and practicality. 

The simplicity provides a great staging tool, but keeps all the focus on the performers. 

It reminds me of the musical, "Come From Away," which I saw recently: all they use is an assortment of mismatched chairs and tables to create multiple different locations and environments from airplanes, to living rooms, to busses, but you knew exactly what they were supposed to be, thanks to the strength of the presentation. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

What I love about those props is they are so "form follows function." They are completely USED, as flats, doors, slides/slopes and platforms, and then multiple different ways while in each of those positions. Just minimal decoration and complete flexibility and practicality. 

The simplicity provides a great staging tool, but keeps all the focus on the performers. 

It reminds me of the musical, "Come From Away," which I saw recently: all they use is an assortment of mismatched chairs and tables to create multiple different locations and environments from airplanes, to living rooms, to busses, but you knew exactly what they were supposed to be, thanks to the strength of the presentation. 

They even form a clock and have the drill mimic the hands of a clocks rotating around.. 

Really the amount variation they get from these props is ground breaking and will surely be mimicked by bands around the country for years to come.. 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Bluecoats in recent years (in my opinion) haven't done enough to enlarge their shows over the course of each season. I fear they'll do that again and be overtaken.

Sadly, I agree with you 100%. As much as I would like to see it not happen yet again.

3 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

They even form a clock and have the drill mimic the hands of a clocks rotating around.. 

Really the amount variation they get from these props is ground breaking and will surely be mimicked by bands around the country for years to come.. 

This is earth shattering stuff. How many years to come do you think it will go on? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, E3D said:

This is earth shattering stuff. How many years to come do you think it will go on? 

Good one, but really i didnt catch it on first read, I saw the circle but didnt get the reference to time.. 

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Cadets did a clock with hands at the beginning of their 2000 show.