So - who's winning?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. 2019 Champion Will Be...

• SCV
    • BD
    • Bluecoats
    • Other Corps

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Cadets did a clock with hands at the beginning of their 2000 show.  

This has become a commonplace of corps/band drill since then, sometimes with props explicitly labelled as I, II, II, etc. representing the hours.

Curiously, a few months after Cadets did that show (which in my opinion should have won DCI outright rather than tying Cavaliers), Bellbrook H.S., one of the few Class A schools to make Bands of America finals in recent memory (or ever?), had a show titled "Tyranny of the Clock":

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Cadets did a clock with hands at the beginning of their 2000 show.  

yup and the tick tock in the pit and the clocks on the flags and the members on the back sideline moving like clocks

the mother and the father holding the baby - then the graduation cap flags etc etc and still few got it lol

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

yup and the tick tock in the pit and the clocks on the flags and the members on the back sideline moving like clocks

the mother and the father holding the baby - then the graduation cap flags etc etc and still few got it lol

God I loved it so much. 💕💕💕💕

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

yes, that whole Y2K thing.........................................................................................and they played AND marched. But that was last century.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

It reminds me of the musical, "Come From Away," which I saw recently: all they use is an assortment of mismatched chairs and tables to create multiple different locations and environments from airplanes, to living rooms, to busses, but you knew exactly what they were supposed to be, thanks to the strength of the presentation. 

Heh. There will be a performance of Come from Away in about two hours less than 500 feet from where I sit.

6 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

You spread this .1 difference in scores across 9 judges and the gaps start to open up.

But only if all the judges lean the same way, no?

* Bluecoats - man, this is a really well-designed show. Especially the visual book. But it screams out to me "I will peak in the first week of August and then fade!" I'll be honest: I see them in 3rd at Finals.

* Vanguard - show still doesn't click, but it's also the show with the most room for growth. They just added their tarps. What's next? Can they adorn enough bells and whistles to take them to the title? Something amazing to think about: Cadets 84-85 and Cavaliers 00-02 are the only non-BD corps in the modern era to repeat as champions. I think they'll pass Coats, but not...

* Blue Devils - I'm a music guy, not a visual guy. And while, musically, the Top 5 corps (add in Boston and Crown) are all really, really close in quality, IMO the Devils and Bluecoats are lapping the field in terms of visual design this year. I haven't fallen in love with this show yet, but... well, you're a fool to bet against the Blue Devils. Ever. 2004-2006 was the last time Concord didn't win the championship two seasons in a row.

• Like 1

ALRIGHT.  A Chops Czapinski written drill had my section in high school band in a giant circle rotating while each MM alternated going up on tip toes or crouching down every other step.  And we had our arms extended and moving up and down in alternating patterns as well. The number was The Cuckoo and apparently ... we were a cuckoo clock without props...in 1987.

I want my "I marched a clock before props were cool" cred now.

[oh lord...video exists of this on YouTube....we did Conquest that year for the opener at least.  If the sound wasn't 1987 quality and in the Hoosier Dome, you might hear some people in the stands doing the "uh"s during the shots.]

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 1

Bluecoats.

Bluecoats are 'winning'... if there really is such a thing in midseason drumcorps.

Charlie Sheen 

• Haha 1