Broken Arrow, OK - Tuesday, July 16, 2019

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

I just saw the scores. Blue Stars...ouch.

Bigger ouches for Cadets, SVC, Boston, and Cavaliers.

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

One of the most memorable and powerful designed sequences in drum Corps history, in my opinion, is the whirlpool scene two years ago in the tempest. Even after watching that a dozen times I got choked up. It was so beautiful, so powerful, and so perfect to tell the story.

I keep wanting a moment like that in this year’s blue Devils show, something that makes a big emotional impact. It just never happens.

The shoe tapping section followed by the big chord as well as the clock drill in the ballad have similar effects for me 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Is it me or is Cavaliers being really underscored? I don’t think their show should be this far out from potentially medaling. What am I missing?

I saw a little bit of a preseason rehearsal video which was good- but I haven't seen a good video of the whole show.

I do know they have been running consistently in 6th all season.

I do know that the general consensus on this forum is that it is a great show that is being underscored. So whatever you are missing everyone else on here is missing too.

1 minute ago, ThePlanets said:

I saw a little bit of a preseason rehearsal video which was good- but I haven't seen a good video of the whole show.

I do know they have been running consistently in 6th all season.

I do know that the general consensus on this forum is that it is a great show that is being underscored. So whatever you are missing everyone else on here is missing too.

I agree that the show is very good or even great.  But disagree that it is being underscored.  The 5 above them have fabulous shows.  And a good or great show just is not keeping up.

And Cavaliers need to, sometime soon, score higher than at least one of the Top Five, to disabuse me of this opinion.

I ran across a video on the Crown Volunteer FB page (closed group or I'd repost).  It was taken from the bleachers behind the right end zone (volunteer seating?).  Even with the brass facing away, that opener is awesome -- and loud. It got a great crowd reaction. Can't wait till ATL.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Is it me or is Cavaliers being really underscored? I don’t think their show should be this far out from potentially medaling. What am I missing?

They have a competitive horn line and book, a serviceable battery and guard line and book (and an exceptional front ensemble), and a 7th to 9th place visual design. The program started out strong in the California performances, but seems to have stalled a little as the others just above them have tightened down the execution screws and boosted GE. They're not totally baked into 6th place yet, but they're going to have to do something hard and fast if they want to get into the conversation with Crown and Boston.

• Like 2

Anecdotally (from what I remember), scores can bemore separated at TOC shows than at other shows (esp. regionals) where performance order more closely follows current placement. But, here the presumed Top 3 performed last, sooo.... Dunno!

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

Bigger ouches for Cadets, SVC, Boston, and Cavaliers.

I don't see an "ouch" for Boston here.  Just 7 tenths behind Crown and only a couple points away from first.  BAC is in truly rarified air here in that it has never been up in this altitude before (during the DCI era).  The corps is performing very well and the live audiences are going crazy for them.  They were in 12th only 23 months ago....lest we forget.

• Like 4