Broken Arrow, OK - Tuesday, July 16, 2019

14 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Congrats Bloooooooooo but also congrats Bluuuuuee smoke! 

BD your in a good place, seem partially rough run esp for color guard tonight.. But it's very obvious you have a lot more to achieve. And YES time to increase spread from Vanguard and going upwards aiming for your next target lol. As i said begore Slowly but surely. I am enjoying watching you strive and working hard so diligently.

Awesome night, Awesome season, Awesome shows from all groups.

Being the "underdog" has always been a great motivator for me!

Edited by Rylan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Does anyone else think that BD's show is basically the same show as the last 3 or 4 years,  just rearranged slightly?

On a superficial level, I guess one could make the argument that these shows are created within the same style. But absolutely not. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it is a tough book, and the 10 snares is a monster to clean. If they can get it clean, Jeff will give it up

Do you think perhaps it's a balance issue with 3 tenors vs 10 snares? It appears they had 4 tenors before. I mean, they could have recruited a replacement or at the most worst, cut 2 snares to balance things out sound wise.

12 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Does anyone else think that BD's show is basically the same show as the last 3 or 4 years,  just rearranged slightly?

Not at all. Yes, they jazz run, march, stage, act, play great music, and all that, just like most corps; but the use of props, the show theme, the ideas behind this show are very different from last year. I would maybe lump 2017 and 2018 together. I thought 2015 & 16 had some similarities. But 2019 feels very different and I love it. And by the way, I think all corps should try to bring back ideas that work and see if they can use them in a slightly different way. You can't just reinvent the wheel every year. What BD has been doing from 2014 to now is brilliant and I have enjoyed each of those shows. 

What a thrill it is to see the visual designs of BD and Bloo this year. Incredible stuff! 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

Do you think perhaps it's a balance issue with 3 tenors vs 10 snares? It appears they had 4 tenors before. I mean, they could have recruited a replacement or at the most worst, cut 2 snares to balance things out sound wise.

The injured quad was replaced by a vet almost two weeks ago.  It's been posted that they hope to get him in a show or two before SA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

They had a very talented replacement tenor fly in as soon as they knew the other member had the injury.  He has been rehearsing with the corps for a couple weeks.  They will work him in when it makes sense (and he is comfortable with 192 drill sets and all the music).

I don't speak for Colin but I cannot imagine a situation where he would arbitrarily cut a couple snares in the middle of the summer due to an injury in another section.  But, that's just my take.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, 27Socal said:

Although this years Blue Devils show is not as strong as 17 and 18's offerings Blue Devils do use some of the same elements year after.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • I just made list of the things You'll find in a BD show but, I'll keep it for any Marching band I may write for in the future.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Insecure narcissistic people have a tendency to run off those who may get more attention than they. But yes many former Cadets moved on to other organizations who would give them the opportunity to shine. 

All very true. But we must also acknowledge that even if The Cadets did not go through the issues of the past few years, and had all their staff stayed (hypothetical), it is likely that all those with Bloo, Crown, etc., would still have to look elsewhere to get jobs. There are only so many jobs in DCI Open and World Class competition. A corps that produces 30+ years of top 5 and top 3 shows with tons of regional titles and 10 world titles is bound to produce a lot of great teachers/designers for the next generation. The Cadets simply cannot keep them all, nor can BD or SCV. 

Another thing to consider, too, is that hiring from within is not always good. Like many places of employment it is often good to hire from outside. When Star of Indiana left the activity after the 1993 season, the Blue Devils were smart to grab their visual coach (forgetting his name right now). What he has done for BD over the decades has been incredible, and he is an alumnus of the Madison Scouts.  Sometimes it just works out that an alumnus of one corps will better find their niche and design or teaching talents with another corps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1