How do the Cadets right the ship?

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Was the father also named Tom? Rode with some older members to Westshoremen practices when corps got back together in 1974 and remember the name. 

yup. He and Dad marched together at Westshore, with Skee and Satch and others that went elsewhere after 72. Great family. Younger son Tim is a drummer also, may still be teaching at Big Spring. I havent seen them in a few years

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yup. He and Dad marched together at Westshore, with Skee and Satch and others that went elsewhere after 72. Great family. Younger son Tim is a drummer also, may still be teaching at Big Spring. I havent seen them in a few years

Yeah that was it. Uncle Chuck S and Bill Light talking about trying get get people back. Lol they couldn’t understand why it was so hard and all I could think of was “Go from a Corps trying to win DCA to a Corps not going to make Finals... no brainer”.

ps will pm about skee as work near a relative

edit: man I hate spellcheck 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was the father also named Tom? Rode with some older members to Westshoremen practices when corps got back together in 1974 and remember the name. 

Yes, the father is also named Tom. Really great man...and loved drumming!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

The only controversy is what people on here seem to be manufacturing. 

12 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

...that's what people do, though. That's exactly why they might choose to avoid people who had that level of personal involvement with Hop.

You wishing that people wouldn't do it isn't going to stop people from doing it.

Humans have the ability to start raging fires at the bottom of oceans. 

30 minutes ago, LyricalCoder said:

Humans have the ability to start raging fires at the bottom of oceans. 

Billy Joel said it. We didn't start the fire. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

The Cavaliers appeared to dropping like it's hot from 2012-2015.  They placed 8,7,6,9.

They haven't quite made it back to medaling but they are doing well.

Santa Clara was behind from 05-10 buy they just climbed back up and won last year.

I went into the season expecting the Cadets to be in the 7-9 bracket with 2 corps in Blue. That's exactly where they are. Don't they have a lead over Blue Stars consistently anyway?

THIS.

It takes time. Simple as that. Honestly, I think they are doing well this year. No, I am not a fan of the show design, but the members are performing very well. They sound and march fantastic. As the above poster noted, they are exactly where I expected them to be this year.  Their percussion section is worth the price of admission. Love that energy. 

There is simply no way any corps could go through what Cadets did and come out back on top or in the top 5 in just a matter of 2 or 3 years. There was simply too much of an overhaul in staff, management, board, finances, and you name it. This will take some time. I could care less about placement and just want to see this corps survive, give their members the best experience, and watch these kids perform the heck out of their shows. Yes, I would like to see better design, but I have a feeling they learned their lesson this year.  It's time for some fun Cadets-like music and a show that builds on great music and movement. Placement could be 12th, and as long as they are having a blast and giving the crowd a great show, then I am good. 

There is a lot of competition out there right now. Blue Knights are really good, as are Stars, Crossmen, and many others. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true...Bluecoats first made the top 6 in what 2002? didn't medal til 10, win til 16?

Jeff, 

There is something wrong here, this is The Cadets, arguably the second most successful corps of all time from a championship and placement stance most likely. They dominated an era from 1983-1987 like nobody had before or since.. But as an alumni, I have not really enjoyed any of their shows since 2016, this is a corps that is supposed to compete every year and have a show that is memorable year in and year out. I can shout out Cadets years from 1983 -2015 and most of us would be able to call out that exact show?.

When I see The Cadets now, I am sorry but I think of The Blue Stars, not that is a bad comparison, but nonetheless it is the truth. I think it will get worse before it ever gets better. Before you say SCV and Cavaliers had down years, they still had for the most part quality shows. This is not about uniforms, but rather a show that captivates the audience. The last two nights I was at both shows, they did not do that. Go back and watch 87, 92, 2000... capture the audience, write a drill that has you keeping your eyes on the field and not on my phone. I have no doubt that if that show went up against 1988, it would lose. 

I want them to get better, we all do, but don't hold your breath and say time, they don't need time, they need talent, simply put. Hard facts, but it is the truth. 

Edited by ohbaby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ohbaby said:

Jeff, 

There is something wrong here, this is The Cadets, arguably the second most successful corps of all time from a championship and placement stance most likely. They dominated an era from 1983-1987 like nobody had before or since.. 

2000-2006 Cavies comes to mind. 

Blue Devils over the last decade. 

Blue Devils 1976-1982. 

Not to ignore your point that they are having a few years now of placements lower than has been their norm.  Anyway, I wouldn’t lather on the angst just yet  

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ohbaby said:

Jeff, 

There is something wrong here, this is The Cadets, arguably the second most successful corps of all time from a championship and placement stance most likely. They dominated an era from 1983-1987 like nobody had before or since.. But as an alumni, I have not really enjoyed any of their shows since 2016, this is a corps that is supposed to compete every year and have a show that is memorable year in and year out. I can shout out Cadets years from 1983 -2015 and most of us would be able to call out that exact show?.

When I see The Cadets now, I am sorry but I think of The Blue Stars, not that is a bad comparison, but nonetheless it is the truth. I think it will get worse before it ever gets better. Before you say SCV and Cavaliers had down years, they still had for the most part quality shows. This is not about uniforms, but rather a show that captivates the audience. The last two nights I was at both shows, they did not do that. Go back and watch 87, 92, 2000... capture the audience, write a drill that has you keeping your eyes on the field and not on my phone. I have no doubt that if that show went up against 1988, it would lose. 

I want them to get better, we all do, but don't hold your breath and say time, they don't need time, they need talent, simply put. Hard facts, but it is the truth. 

The Cavaliers were one of the top corps from 85-2011, just as the Cadets were...and it took the Cavaliers a few years just to get back to where they are now. The talent at the top is far greater than either corps dealt with during their run, because both were generally top 3 the whole time. maybe a year here or there where they placed 4th or lower, but for consistency, outside of BD int hat era, those two corps were there.

But now you have Crown and Bloo in the game all the time. You have Boston having worked their way up, and Cavies are back in the top 6. So yes, Cadets will struggle a little bit til the design team gets solidified. Hell look at SCV...Rennicks been there what 8 years, Shaw a year or 2 later, and it wasn't until gaines came that they were back in the hunt. 

As for shows...do you know how hard it is to put out a superstar show from a group of people still learning to work together? It's not easy. The successful programs have had the main cogs together for YEARS. if not, they managed to replace pieces that left with serious talent. Can Cadets afford that kind of talent knowing the financial hole the previous administration left them in? Dunno, I'd guess not. 

By all rights, they should be dead. They aren't. So anyone thinking they can just jump right back into the mix is delusional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohbaby said:

Jeff, 

I know the adults in charge want it to get better and QUICKLY - the corps is fully funded at the same level as the very top corps 

I would expect (and I'm saying this as a complete outsider) a huge reckoning after the season. Some heads may roll IMO

Again - as an outsider - I feel they wanted to give the folks who stuck through the very tough 2018 a chance to lead and teach without the last minute nature of it all and without GH. Some of it (IMO) has gone ok. Some has gone quite poorly.

I guess my gut says "expect changes"

• Like 3