How do the Cadets right the ship?

I’m under the impression the Cadets HAVE righted the ship. However, this was not the year to produce any type of “message” show. This was a year for straight-up, entertaining and easy flowing excellence of music and movement. The staff-designed choices could have been better this time . . . but there WILL be a next year and that’s what counts!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, but when a corps chooses to use their show design (and apparently, some rehearsal time too) to deliver political discourse, it might bleed over into conversations about the corps.

You are concerned about the 'what'... I'm concerned about the 'why'.

The day that the organization stops seeming to project its victimization in its program material, will be a very good day for the Cadets.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

In todays America inclusion = if you have differing views and opinions you will be called names and excluded.

Edit: Worked it out in a later post

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

Like calling people “leftist”....

time for the close

No, this discussion is redeemable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Hoping so as some good points have come up. Just don’t like when someone complains about something and then does it themselves. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I’m under the impression the Cadets HAVE righted the ship. However, this was not the year to produce any type of “message” show. This was a year for straight-up, entertaining and easy flowing excellence of music and movement. The staff-designed choices could have been better this time . . . but there WILL be a next year and that’s what counts!

I, for one, would probably have been disappointed if they came out with a 2015-type show (meaning, traditional Cadets drill and musical phrasing, poor or no use of props and electronics, etc.; forget about the 10 stuff). Don't get me wrong - those are my favorite Cadets shows!! I mean, 1992, 1993, 1998, come on!  But, that's not where the activity is, that's not where the judging community is, and I'm not sure it would help draw talent because it would be seen as so basic compared to everyone else.

I mean, 2018 was essentially that show. They did well with it, but it was clearly "old school". 

This year, I'm glad they're extending themselves when it comes to good props and smarter uniforms. This team needs to continue to learn to use these tools that so many others have years of experience doing well.

No, I'm not that pleased with the show itself. They're going to struggle for year(s) trying to figure out who The Cadets are in this modern era - I recognize that and want to give them a bit of space for that search.

If “your” once elite corps was in 16th place last year and headed for 17th place this year, yeah, I can understand the crankiness. On the other hand, flushing your longstanding executive director and staff and basically starting over, while still remaining well within the top 12..... we should be breaking out the frisbees and beach balls and having ourselves a party!  Now, if only all these corps could be done with their obsession over the ridiculous looking body contortions, that would really be a big step in the right direction.   Whoever made up the notion that this is necessary should be hit with a sock full of pennies. Rhetorically speaking of course. Simultaneous demand my azz. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Thinking about it.... if any corps spends bunch o time at practice discussing something that doesn’t help the show it’s a waste imo. But just can’t understand why saying the corps is and should be inclusive is a bad thing. Heavens knows we had some corps in the past that excluded people based on race, etc....

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking about it.... if any corps spends bunch o time at practice discussing something that doesn’t help the show it’s a waste imo. But just can’t understand why saying the corps is and should be inclusive is a bad thing. Heavens knows we had some corps in the past that excluded people based on race, etc....

That's a fairly distant past.  I haven't known any drumcorps in the past 20 years to behave that way (gender casting aside).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

That's a fairly distant past.  I haven't known any drumcorps in the past 20 years to behave that way (gender casting aside).

Understood and agree... FYI my corps history goes back lot further than 20 years lol. And corps I usually think about with this issue was forced by their sponsor if I heard right