How do the Cadets right the ship?

The Cadets have already righted the ship.  But there is a HUGE difference between “righting the ship” and being at the very pinnacle of the sport.  As others have said, it will take more time to get back to the top. 

SO, the most important thing for the future and stability of The Cadets (and ANY corps) has almost nothing to do with design.  The MOST important thing is financial success. 

I’m not knowledgeable about all the things YEA is doing to improve the financial outlook.  But it does seem to be something they are working on pretty diligently.

You must run a drum corps like a business.  If you struggle financially, any competitive success you enjoy is going to be short-lived. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dans said:

I apologize if you took offense to my choice of words. I strictly used the word leftist to indicate a specific viewpoint. Sorry.

If you actually used the word "leftist" correctly, then maybe this would wash. Nothing about "inclusion" is leftist.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not offended or angry.  I’m just tired of being blamed for all of society’s ills, primarily due to the numbers on my birth certificate.  

Should have worked harder to prevent Reagan from being elected, IMO. 

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and again, this isn't going to be fixed overnight. Look at cavies 12, and now Cavies 19. took 7 years to get back up in the conversation

This. Very true. 

After their 3rd place finish in 2011 the Cavies have not sniffed the top 3. They have been solid, competitive, and do have a 4th place finish from a few years back, but they have not really challenged for top 3.  But that is a misleading statement if all we are concerned about is the scores. The Cavaliers are very healthy and doing wonderfully. They also have not gone through anything as horrific as what Cadets just did. The message here could be that once you get knocked out of the box (top 5) it's tough to get back in. I can only imagine that competitive success may be even more difficult for the Cadets than it has for the Cavaliers.

I know everyone is different, but I have not been worried about scores or placement. I told myself last year that success for the Cadets should be measured on health of the organization and obtaining financial stability.  Many of you are saying the same thing.  Being financially healthy will certainly allow them to run more programs (bring back C2 and other local programs), hire more staff and design folks. They essentially have to rebuild their brand, their infrastructure, their financial base, and somehow find the right team of designers and teachers. 

Again, I know this is difficult to do, but as much as I have some issues with their show this year, I also find some excellent things to enjoy and the corps is performing well. And for the most part I am not worried about design at this point. I think we're all lucky they continue to be a top 12 corps. What they went through could easily have shut down an organization. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Is it me or are people a little cranky lately?  Maybe it’s the heat.

You may need to stop the car and get out the fly swatter soon. ( my Mom's car weapon of choice when we acted up )

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking about it.... if any corps spends bunch o time at practice discussing something that doesn’t help the show it’s a waste imo. But just can’t understand why saying the corps is and should be inclusive is a bad thing. Heavens knows we had some corps in the past that excluded people based on race, etc....

You are correct about exclusion due to race, and at least two corps I know of still around today never out and out refused members of other races,  but you knew you did not join if you were not white. However, though we may have been a bit behind as far as racial issues are concerned, I do think that as far as inclusivity as we know it today, drum corps was ahead of the game. It may not have always happened for the purist of reasons. Some corps became racially integrated because they needed the members. When it comes to broader inclusivity, it was because the talent could not be ignored, but overall drum corps is inclusive.  Regarding the comments of the young Cadets staff member, we need to know more about the context of the comments. For me, if there are issues regarding inclusivity with Cadets, a corps meeting would be the place to handle it, not a rehearsal. It could also be a plain and simple example of a person with a bullhorn who likes to talk. We know there are people who love that opportunity and that’s not a drum corps only thing. 

• Like 2

Agree Tim , thinking (or at least hoping) this was an issue with the person with the bullhorn and not a corps wide thing. Lol have been through it with Senior Corps where a staff member goes off (or goes on and on) about something and had to talk to Corps head about it. Or corps head was there at the time and had a private talk with the person. 

2 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

z9c83.jpg

If this is from the Gene Wilder version, is this the lady who just passed away? Such a creepy movie only watched it once

edit never mind wrong kid (finally found a pic)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1