How do the Cadets right the ship?

8 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

It's weird, though, that they can put a Elizabethan queen out there, with a big wig and a staff, and then tribal fighting etc..... that we're so polarized that we're like "nope, hits too close to home".

What I meant to say to clarify is then I think it's close to the gender argument and women in power discussions going on

• Like 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

The inside joke between Terri and me is we are a few months apart in age....

no geritol for me yet but retirement date getting real close...

Right there with ya. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

What I meant to say to clarify is then I think it's close to the gender argument and women in power discussions going on

Yeah. It's pretty sad if something as basic as male/female is too on the nose.

8 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

That is exactly the issue. And that is their intent by design. My hopes for this show sank when the design team put out the video explaining the theme. Please learn from the Bluecoats and stop doing storyline based shows!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and hope there are not too many snarky comments .........I think not only Cadets but PR suffers from the same problem. The country is so politically polarized right now t that any type of "social message" just does not go over. When SCV did that thing with the helicopters (think it was about Vietnam) and BAC did Les Miserables and PR did the Sparticus thing in 2008 or 2009 winning a title. Those were terrific shows about the human struggle. But the current stuff is too current in the context of people's current views and creates more dislike than like.

Just an observation IMO

This is not why they are both struggling. They are both struggling because its virtually impossible to clearly communicate whatever "message" is trying to be sent within the context of a drum corps show. That's why most steer clear of the attempt. The format just doesn't support it. It's great for getting across musical excitement and emotion, and visual fireworks, but deep meaning? Almost never works. There is too much going on on the field and with a stadium-sized audience it is extremely difficult to create a clearly realized focal point.

Cadets were actually one of the few to ever pull it off with the Copland "Letter from Home" section in 1991. They painted that so simply and brilliantly that the vast majority understood the brief story of the short kid bullied and left out of the baseball game who just wants to be part of the group. He's about to give up when the girl runs over and boosts his confidence. A universal moment that was a master class in communication.

So that was one success nearly 30 years ago...

SCV and BAC? Miss Saigon and Les Miserables were both widely-recognized stage shows that a lot already knew about. Spartacus? Someone got stabbed and people cheered. Audiences like stabbing. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

When SCV did that thing with the helicopters (think it was about Vietnam)

Miss Saigon. Madame Butterfly moved to Vietnam. There were still some unsettling moments in that show that likely hit some nerves as well even though done well, factually, and artistically.

32 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

It's weird, though, that they can put a Elizabethan queen out there, with a big wig and a staff, and then tribal fighting etc..... that we're so polarized that we're like "nope, hits too close to home".

You could be right. I think in these times maybe people just want to be entertained, not feel like they are being preached to or lectured at a contest.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BigW said:

You could be right. I think in these times maybe people just want to be entertained, not feel like they are being preached to or lectured at a contest.

You hit the nail on the head. I just want to be entertained.

• Like 1