How do the Cadets right the ship?

13 minutes ago, BigW said:

Miss Saigon. Madame Butterfly moved to Vietnam. There were still some unsettling moments in that show that likely hit some nerves as well even though done well, factually, and artistically.

There was a lot of grumbling about the Vietnam flag that came out to cover the corps at finals.

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

You could be right. I think in these times maybe people just want to be entertained, not feel like they are being preached to or lectured at a contest.

And that's exactly why BD Metamorph was so great. Don't preach to me ........ wow me with your brilliance and talent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

You hit the nail on the head. I just want to be entertained.

Different strokes, I don't mind shows with a message (I often find them even more rewarding to watch), they just need to have some degree of subtlety to it so it doesn't come across as blunt preaching

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rich Cline said:

You hit the nail on the head. I just want to be entertained.

I thought about this a bit more. One of things a great corps does it to take the observer... and the performers are doing this for themselves as well.... to a unique place, a unique world/environment and get everyone away from the things in reality that can drag us down. I think people want to be lifted up, energized, maybe even mentally healed for that space of time right now. They really need it. Thinking quickly... "Tilt" did that for me when I saw it in Chester, PA. I'm in that crowd cam Bloo did yelling my head off. "Ourobouros" also did that for me. Some things will reach on a personal level for each individual.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

There was a lot of grumbling about the Vietnam flag that came out to cover the corps at finals.

Oh, when I saw that on TV, I winced. Like I said... factual, artistic, but cringeworthy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

He starts talking about Terri’s age again he’s gonna be outnumbered😈

she's still 39.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Looking at last night's whole recap brings a most serious question:  will other corps buy-out that drum staff similar to what SCV did to PR and BAC did to hornstaff and Crown???

If pockets aren't deep and other issues cloud the chance of endorsements sticking around (poor pun I know,) the question becomes most major. Alumni allegiance only goes so far.

While some may rile that saying this aloud dooms the next three weeks and portends poor auditions come Fall, now is in fact when behind the scenes faculty/designer contracting begins to be done by more successful units.

pieces of the staff may go other places, but TA will find suitable replacements. Tom has a loyalty to the organization only a handful can match, and his track record means they'll be a player as long as he is involved...he won't go halfway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

This is not why they are both struggling. They are both struggling because its virtually impossible to clearly communicate whatever "message" is trying to be sent within the context of a drum corps show. That's why most steer clear of the attempt. The format just doesn't support it. It's great for getting across musical excitement and emotion, and visual fireworks, but deep meaning? Almost never works. There is too much going on on the field and with a stadium-sized audience it is extremely difficult to create a clearly realized focal point.

Cadets were actually one of the few to ever pull it off with the Copland "Letter from Home" section in 1991. They painted that so simply and brilliantly that the vast majority understood the brief story of the short kid bullied and left out of the baseball game who just wants to be part of the group. He's about to give up when the girl runs over and boosts his confidence. A universal moment that was a master class in communication.

So that was one success nearly 30 years ago...

SCV and BAC? Miss Saigon and Les Miserables were both widely-recognized stage shows that a lot already knew about. Spartacus? Someone got stabbed and people cheered. Audiences like stabbing. 😂

not always...see some of PR's more recent efforts with death LOL.

as for 91, I thought it was called "Postage Due" because of the length of the piece.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BigW said:

Miss Saigon. Madame Butterfly moved to Vietnam. There were still some unsettling moments in that show that likely hit some nerves as well even though done well, factually, and artistically.

people complained in 91 when SCV covered the field with a giant Communist flag 

3 hours ago, Lance said:

if it were any other corps besides the cadets, i'd agree.

whoever chose to put in that original stuff with the "queen" at the beginning of the season was a complete moron.  it's sad that it took so many rational adults expressing discomfort over it for them to make a change. 

so many? they literally took it out the next day. I must have missed the protest and online petition of tens of thousands 

• Like 1