How do the Cadets right the ship?

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

thanks George, you made my point!

But, who will be hiring these better designers and staff? The one who put this team in place? The same one who allowed them to dismantle themselves during Spring training?

Hiring is not an exact science. I was going to respond to an earlier post but changed my mind, but in looking up the answer for my response, I looked at the credentials of the current staff. On paper, they’re fine. We’re not seeing the results we want, however. 

The best way moving forward would be to look at the current staff, learn from mistakes, and make changes where necessary. I would also give serious consideration to hiring more folks who marched with Cadets. These folks can show what it means to be a Cadet, rather than tell. 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

Hiring is not an exact science. I was going to respond to an earlier post but changed my mind, but in looking up the answer for my response, I looked at the credentials of the current staff. On paper, they’re fine. We’re not seeing the results we want, however. 

The best way moving forward would be to look at the current staff, learn from mistakes, and make changes where necessary. I would also give serious consideration to hiring more folks who marched with Cadets. These folks can show what it means to be a Cadet, rather than tell. 

No one said hiring was a perfect science and no one said all the current staff would go. You keep what works or shows promise 

5 hours ago, Algernon said:

are you saying Denise should replace Scott as corps director?

No one is saying that. Staff coordinator would be involved in hiring for example 

Find a new or different brass arranger (Jay Bocook, please)

Find a new or different visual designer (Jeff Sacktig, maybe)

Put the reins on the show coordinator

Get Justin Heimbecker involved with the corps again in some capacity

#solutions

7 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I think you can watch shows with different points of view. You can watch this Cadets show and be entertained by a power struggle story line without knowing the tribulations of the Cadets the last couple years. You can watch the Regiment show and be entertained by a Joan of Arc story line without knowing that the designers had a women empowerment motivation. 

There was plenty of outrage a couple years ago with the Crown show, where the main character shows forgiveness at the end. "STOP TRYING TO BE PC!" said the typical folks, when you could've just viewed that show with the perspective of "wow, they changed up the ending and took us a different way." 

I think you choose to be entertained.

It depends on the way things are framed in a presentation. Sometimes, meanings are multi-layered and less obvious. From the trend I see here, maybe the conclusion is that where people prefer a discovery of something deeper rather than what the Mystery Science Theater 3000 crew refers to as... " *sigh* MESSAGE COMING..."

Sometimes, deeper meanings were never intended by the creator, but they're there and discovered as well, not put on a platter and served up in an obvious way.

I find the Joan of Arc reference interesting. I haven't seen the show, but if they're directly tapping into the story of  Jeanne D'Arc, one also might read serious religious tones as well into the story. The question would be whether that was directly intended. Given the volatility of that issue, I somehow doubt it. :whistle:

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, Jeff Ream said:

people complained in 91 when SCV covered the field with a giant Communist flag 

RUSSIA!!!

I had predicted at one point earlier in the season that the Cadets would be top 5 within the next 3 years --

I might have been a bit over ambitious - Cadets are in serious trouble. They need a complete overhaul in design.

Music people only should be planning shows - no visual people. Period.

Visual people need to focus on getting back to drill, marching, breakneck speeds provided by the musical people.

Guard is the frosting on the cake not the entire cake. MMs will be in the cadet uniform with shakos and 16" plumes. No more dancing battery or hornline members. Guard will be elite sabers/rifles dancers - like they used to be.

Get back to being a serious drum corps again.

Of course all of this is based on having competent desingers and staff -- if the money is not there to bring in good people, welcome to Phantom-land, Cadets - enjoy placing 8 - 12.

• Like 1