How do the Cadets right the ship?

7 hours ago, horndevil said:

Find a new or different brass arranger (Jay Bocook, please)

Find a new or different visual designer (Jeff Sacktig, maybe)

Put the reins on the show coordinator

Get Justin Heimbecker involved with the corps again in some capacity

#solutions

Soapbox: They need to rehearse like Cadets again. Not take pride in doing the opposite, because the people at the top are taking it easier than the Cadets of yesteryear. Is not the (insert name) Cadets vs. today's Cadets. It's the corps that, hopefully has top tier instruction and is willing fight like hell to overcome adversity. The corps isn't as talented as the corps of yesteryear, and definitely not as talented as those ahead of them. Go out, out work them, and do the work that needs to be done when it need to be done.

...soapbox off

Hire more people who know what it means to be a Cadet!!!!

Edited by horndevil
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I had predicted at one point earlier in the season that the Cadets would be top 5 within the next 3 years --

I might have been a bit over ambitious - Cadets are in serious trouble. They need a complete overhaul in design.

Music people only should be planning shows - no visual people. Period.

Visual people need to focus on getting back to drill, marching, breakneck speeds provided by the musical people.

Guard is the frosting on the cake not the entire cake. MMs will be in the cadet uniform with shakos and 16" plumes. No more dancing battery or hornline members. Guard will be elite sabers/rifles dancers - like they used to be.

Get back to being a serious drum corps again.

This would have the exact opposite competitive effect than you're hoping for.

In 2020, with design and judging trends being what they are, if you don't keep up with them, you aren't climbing anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tedrick said:

I had predicted at one point earlier in the season that the Cadets would be top 5 within the next 3 years --

I might have been a bit over ambitious - Cadets are in serious trouble. They need a complete overhaul in design.

Music people only should be planning shows - no visual people. Period.

Visual people need to focus on getting back to drill, marching, breakneck speeds provided by the musical people.

Guard is the frosting on the cake not the entire cake. MMs will be in the cadet uniform with shakos and 16" plumes. No more dancing battery or hornline members. Guard will be elite sabers/rifles dancers - like they used to be.

Get back to being a serious drum corps again.

Of course all of this is based on having competent desingers and staff -- if the money is not there to bring in good people, welcome to Phantom-land, Cadets - enjoy placing 8 - 12.

This is a post of two tales...

Lists everything that is the EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE ENTIRE DIRECTION OF THE ENTIRE ACTIVITY RIGHT NOW (except a failing Madison)

Then says that all this is based on having competent designers.

BRUH.  Competent designers wouldn't do literally ANY Of the things you've listed, or they'd be unemployed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

laughable...people preaching patience now complaining they aren't in the hunt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

....it's getting worse

What makes you say it’s getting worse?  The scores from San Antonio?  If that’s the basis of your opinion, you might want to consider looking at this from a more constructive viewpoint.

1 hour ago, horndevil said:

Soapbox: They need to rehearse like Cadets again. Not take pride in doing the opposite, because the people at the top are taking it easier than the Cadets of yesteryear. Is not the (insert name) Cadets vs. today's Cadets. It's the corps that, hopefully has top tier instruction and is willing fight like hell to overcome adversity. The corps isn't as talented as the corps of yesteryear, and definitely not as talented as those ahead of them. Go out, out work them, and do the work that needs to be done when it need to be done.

...soapbox off

Hire more people who know what it means to be a Cadet!!!!

No, the cadets need to rehearse smart, not necessarily harder or more 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Have you watched them rehearse this year? I'm not asking for over-rehearsed for the sake of over-rehearsal. But there is a distinct lack of focus and drive that I'm accustomed to...and I'm talking from within the corps

Edited by horndevil
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, horndevil said:

Have you watched them rehearse this year? I'm not asking for over-rehearsed for the sake of over-rehearsal. But there is a distinct lack of focus and drive that I'm accustomed to 

No, not this year. I was just making a general comment because I've heard this trope about the Cadets traditionally rehearsing harder and more than other corps (and have watched a couple rehearsals of the Cadets in the early/mid 2010s) and it just seems unnecessary compared to what I see from other corps

I'm sure the members this year are focused and doing the best with what they've been given 

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

This has been discussed for some time, actually. Cadets Work Ethic versus BD's efficiency. I tell students to practice for results, not for hours on their instruments. I can get more out of myself in 45 minutes of very focused and thoughtful practice than I could just playing stuff for 2 hours for the sake of playing, for instance.

• Like 1