How do the Cadets right the ship?

2 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Maybe that same Allentown magic from last year will reappear.

they need some work for that.

Look i have said it a 1000 times, so here's 1001....the competition around them is better than ever. this isn't the "glory days" of BD/SCV/Cavies/Phantom all rotating in and out of the top 3. the old big drop off from say 6th to 7th place aint like it was. And cadets do not need to go spend a lot of money they don't have. it didn't take one year for the corps to get in this position...it had been at least a 5 year downward spiral that truly wasn't noticeable til 3 years ago. Sometimes you have to fix back office things before you can truly fix what everyone sees. and right now, IMO, that is where the Cadets are. I am sure they would have liked the sow to end up better. History is littered with show ideas that looked great on paper that ended up tanking. 

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Cadets have the money to rebuild. But it’s so hard to retain top members when you don’t have much chance to medal.

really? thats why they announced a huge deficit and cut Cadets 2 last fall? They made up that several hundred thousand deficit already?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

really? thats why they announced a huge deficit and cut Cadets 2 last fall? They made up that several hundred thousand deficit already?

Their latest 990 (from I think March 2018 ...  but it is only a 3 month year due to a change in accounting years) looks like there is quite a bit of debt. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

Their latest 990 (from I think March 2018 ...  but it is only a 3 month year due to a change in accounting years) looks like there is quite a bit of debt. 

they announced i believe an $800k deficit last fall and killed C2. unless someone left them a huge chunk of change, thats not all gone, and i am sure legal fees arent gone yet

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

they announced i believe an $800k deficit last fall and killed C2. unless someone left them a huge chunk of change, thats not all gone, and i am sure legal fees arent gone yet

They list quite a lot of assets, so their net deficit does not look too large, but I cannot figure out what kinds of assets they have that would offset their net liabilities.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:27 AM, ThePlanets said:

It's not like the Cadets can encourage the kids that don't make the cut to join C2 and still have a "Cadet" experience any more.

Why you gotta bring that up?😟😟😭😥😥😔

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they need some work for that.

Look i have said it a 1000 times, so here's 1001....the competition around them is better than ever. this isn't the "glory days" of BD/SCV/Cavies/Phantom all rotating in and out of the top 3. the old big drop off from say 6th to 7th place aint like it was. And cadets do not need to go spend a lot of money they don't have. it didn't take one year for the corps to get in this position...it had been at least a 5 year downward spiral that truly wasn't noticeable til 3 years ago. Sometimes you have to fix back office things before you can truly fix what everyone sees. and right now, IMO, that is where the Cadets are. I am sure they would have liked the sow to end up better. History is littered with show ideas that looked great on paper that ended up tanking. 

Thanks Jeff but I am well aware of what you mean. My intention was to bring a little hope and make some people smile. No need for a lecture. Been a Cadet since the 80's. So you wasted your 1001st time on me.😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Bic picture this season, at least IMO... 9th (or 10th or 11th) place at DCI Finals is still pretty rarified air... air which any number of corps would like to breathe someday.

Big picture, longer term.... yes, it would be cool if the Cadets could find the cure to whatever is ailing them from a competitive standpoint (placing lower than they are used to). I have absolutely no idea what those answers are... but it would be nice to see the maroon and gold back in the Top 5 hunt.

I know... Captain Obvious here. :tongue: But still.

Exactly. Given the situation YEA was in a bit more than a year ago, the fact this corps is still performing and exists at all means the ship is in better shape than many thought it would be.  This is a multi-year project. I think it's been wildly unrealistic for everyone to assume that the Cadets would be humming along immediately after the debacle and also the previous decline of the designs as noted by Jeff. 

15 minutes ago, BigW said:

Exactly. Given the situation YEA was in a bit more than a year ago, the fact this corps is still performing and exists at all means the ship is in better shape than many thought it would be.  This is a multi-year project. I think it's been wildly unrealistic for everyone to assume that the Cadets would be humming along immediately after the debacle and also the previous decline of the designs as noted by Jeff. 

History tells us that removing a dictator doesn’t mean the government and esp population just magically morph into a healthy society. It usually creates chaos. You are asking people who shrunk in the shadow of a tyrant to suddenly walk upright with confidence. 

Cadets need a strong leader who is also empathetic and can manage a seven figure budget. And who knows dci inside out. And who wants to live in allentown.

Thats a tough ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foef_Yet_Flalf said:

Why you gotta bring that up?😟😟😭😥😥😔

Sorry 😟