How do the Cadets right the ship?

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

It’s unsurprising his little anonymous minions are coming out of the woodwork

doesn't the trial start next week?

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

Based on a conversation I had with a Cadet parent at the OC show in Manchester, NH last night, a parent who has some concerns but not nearly to the extent as some posting in this thread, a big name would be ideal for design, but big name or not, someone who can bring people together is critical. My guess is that this would be Denise Bonfiglio’s specialty, and will be of value as staff coordinator.  I’ve only met her socially, usually at shows where I am probably singing the praises of 27th, but she has her mother’s warmth and based on her reputation, her father’s skill set. Poor show design can be a result of everyone having the same less than brilliant idea,  but it can also be people not coming together. My gut feeling is that staff is not gelling together, and they may not be gelling with marching members. I may be wrong, but given things were rocky early on but seemed to be improving when they were in New England/East Coast but declined after, that’s a pretty good sign of people not being on the same page.

My hope would be that Denise is savvy enough to bring a few names to Cadets, perhaps talent that has not been recognized, but if that’s not possible financially or otherwise, can bring people together at Cadets. 

Sometimes, it's not that the staff is bad or ill tempered- sometimes they need time to figure out each other and how they think and work. A good Coordinator knows this and will help facilitate that understanding. From what I know about the staff, it could just be that. Really decent and good people who need to understand how they all tick.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Thank you!

I thought about Scott and the post about a strong leader for some time today. It reminded me of the beginning of World War 2 when Nimitz was brought in as the CINCPAC. A lot of media felt they needed a firebrand, a personality like Halsey who was bold, brash, and media savvy.

I wonder of that's the perception of "Strong" in this case. Halsey was important and very good, but Nimitz was far more sublime, as was Spruance. They were both very "Strong" and incredibly able individuals but very quiet about how they went about things. They inspired confidence in people and were quietly encouraging. They knew their people well and tried to help them find their niche where they could be a great contributor to the overall effort. I think Scott's more in that mold, and personally, I tend to like that. I think both kinds of leaders have their places and situations, but right now, maybe that quiet and polite kind of "strong" is the right thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Sometimes, it's not that the staff is bad or ill tempered- sometimes they need time to figure out each other and how they think and work. A good Coordinator knows this and will help facilitate that understanding. From what I know about the staff, it could just be that. Really decent and good people who need to understand how they all tick.

As someone who has been a part of many groups who have to work together as a team, as well as someone who has had to organize groups to work as a team, I would think bringing all the people needed for a drum corps, all who have many gifts, not to mention expertise, along with in some cases egos, artistic temperaments along with the human flaws we all have would be a challenge for anyone, and one I probably could not do. 

11 hours ago, Algernon said:

All the events that have taken place since the alumni group decided to oust Hopkins have lead to this predicament. The money they promised never materialized. Cadets 2 shut down and members contracted ASAP (less about their talent than cash flow coming in) were decisions dictated by less than ideal circumstances. The end result is what you have now -  a corps in freefall.

Of course everyone would be willing to $upport or join a corps being run by someone going on trial for sexual assault. /sarcasm 

Scott Litzenberg's Facebook:

It’s been an interesting 4 days in Texas. I’ll leave it at that...

The one thing I will say about The Cadets... if anyone thinks they aren’t going to be Cadets over these last 3 weeks, you are sorely mistaken. They know who they are and what they need to do. This, will be a fun ride!

I am blessed to be a part of It!

FHNSAB ♥️💛

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

When you post anonymously in support of an accused sexual predator you have zero credibility to lecture me or anyone 

You are correct, were that to be true. This isn't a defense of George Hopkins, more of an attack of John Hannigan et al -  the alumni that ripped apart YEA (for the right reasons) but didn't man up and support the rebuilding process. 

5 minutes ago, Algernon said:

You are correct, were that to be true. This isn't a defense of George Hopkins, more of an attack of John Hannigan et al -  the alumni that ripped apart YEA (for the right reasons) but didn't man up and support the rebuilding process. 

So they disappeared after GH was deposed?  Are they supporting the women who are involved in the upcoming trial?  How about all of the survivors? 

These are important questions for me because I don’t want to think that the survivors were used.  Please tell me that isn’t what has happened.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

So they disappeared after GH was deposed?  Are they supporting the women who are involved in the upcoming trial?  How about all of the survivors? 

These are important questions for me because I don’t want to think that the survivors were used.  Please tell me that isn’t what has happened.

Mr. Dixon, care to comment?

26 minutes ago, Algernon said:

it needed ripped apart and now it needs rebuilt - we can't go backwards

so what are the solutions and the way forward?