How do the Cadets right the ship?

37 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I'll argue that X or Power of Ten show was a terrible concept, but they did alright.

Though the winds of change were already in the air....

This year I have begun to wonder if maybe it really does come down to the design team. Put a Beatles show in the hands of GH...how many ways does that go terribly wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

This year I have begun to wonder if maybe it really does come down to the design team. Put a Beatles show in the hands of GH...how many ways does that go terribly wrong?

Have you seen 2006?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Banners, terrible voiceovers, and who knows what else. Give them the technical staff and drill writer they had during the Power of X year, and they still get top 6 though.... I just don't think they'd win unless they conform with current best practices.

So effectively, if you don't mostly fall in line you can only go so far. IMHO....

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Cavaliers do it well and even wear the classic green at Finals Retreat.  Wearing it while they played Somewhere at St. Monica's for Don Warren's funeral tied all those Gearheads together from 1948 to today, even those years when Cavies wore blue (their original color.)

Yeah, I got that. Thus the green and black text.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigW said:

I find this one interesting. Zingali discussed trying to add more of a third dimensional plane to the visual aspect of the shows in a clinic I attended in 1984. I believe all of his work afterwards involved that idea with the use of various guard props, etc. Some of those items now are the realizations of his initial ideas from that time, I think.

Yes.  And he attempted something like that with giant wheels in 86 at Star. The idea was mostly abandoned except for one on which a soloist stood.  It was an idea ahead of its time that was eventually used by someone else.

Maybe they should add a majorette line.  

11 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Going vertical with props. 

I guess it depends what you mean here, but haven't there been vertical props since at least the 1980s?

46 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

Ahhhhh... Maroon & Gold

I was looking for a championship competition called the Classic M&G  😳 

I was thinking Marching & General Effect... but I go back a ways....