How do the Cadets right the ship?

On 7/16/2019 at 8:27 PM, cfirwin3 said:

And for the love of all things maroon and gold... don't write any shows about social/ethical issues for about the next 5 years.

I don't think you know how right you are.  I attended an early season practice.  I just wanted to throw up after listening to the social justice warrior crap the members are being indoctrinated with.  It's ridiculous.

My comments will exclude whoever the person I perceived to be the director, a more mature gentleman than the rest of the staff who was in the stands directing the run through.  He was professional and made specific comments to the corps members with a bull horn.  He exuded the kind of professionalism I have seen other top corps directors exhibit.  I don't know who he is, but he was not the problem.

However the rest of the staff seemed young.  In particular there was one young woman who basically stopped practice while the corps was at attention waiting to run another chunk.  She got on the bullhorn and was chanting "you are the Cadets...you are inclusive, you are diverse...you accept other people for who they are..." ad naseum.  She went on like that for five minutes and the corps members had to stand there and take that.  I was horrified and yes, disgusted.

And then when I heard for the first time the tune which droned over and over and over..."we can do better..." that was my "throw up" moment with the Cadets. A corps I grew up loving and admiring, to see them as a shadow of their former selves, placing in the bottom half of the top 12 focusing on SJW rhetoric instead of focusing on excellence.

I mourn for the corps which was my favorite for decades.  Now I don't care if I ever watch another of their performances ever again.  Such a waste considering the incredible talent they have behind those horns, drums and flags.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

36 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

This cannot possibly be true. Take a look at our electronics, and then take a look at Bluecoats' electronics. We're a kid in his bedroom with a Casio and a tape deck, and they are a Skrillex show.

To be fair though, the Cadets do have three 30 foot tall props, and the bluecoats have built up their electronics stable for a while now. 

22 hours ago, BigKazDCI said:

Stop the overt social commentary and go back to what got you titles: excellent marching, better music, and even better GE.

This ^^^, word for word.

wvu80 stands and applauds. 

15 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Cute, but not mutually exclusive. Please take your terrible takes elsewhere.

I am just sharing an experience.  Just because you disagree with my observations is no reason to try to exclude me. 

If you don't like it, don't read it.  But you can't discount it, I shared an unbiased look at a Cadets rehearsal.  If you're disappointed with what I observed, I was too. 

I've watched many a Cadets practice, they were the epitome of professionalism and they won with that approach.  What I witnessed is not the professional Cadets staff behavior of the past.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

In particular there was one young woman who basically stopped practice while the corps was at attention waiting to run another chunk.  She got on the bullhorn and was chanting "you are the Cadets...you are inclusive, you are diverse...you accept other people for who they are..." ad naseum.  She went on like that for five minutes and the corps members had to stand there and take that.

I'm curious about what may have happened at the rehearsal that prompted the diatribe you describe.

34 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't think you know how right you are.  I attended an early season practice.  I just wanted to throw up after listening to the social justice warrior crap the members are being indoctrinated with.  It's ridiculous.

My comments will exclude whoever the person I perceived to be the director, a more mature gentleman than the rest of the staff who was in the stands directing the run through.  He was professional and made specific comments to the corps members with a bull horn.  He exuded the kind of professionalism I have seen other top corps directors exhibit.  I don't know who he is, but he was not the problem.

However the rest of the staff seemed young.  In particular there was one young woman who basically stopped practice while the corps was at attention waiting to run another chunk.  She got on the bullhorn and was chanting "you are the Cadets...you are inclusive, you are diverse...you accept other people for who they are..." ad naseum.  She went on like that for five minutes and the corps members had to stand there and take that.  I was horrified and yes, disgusted.

And then when I heard for the first time the tune which droned over and over and over..."we can do better..." that was my "throw up" moment with the Cadets. A corps I grew up loving and admiring, to see them as a shadow of their former selves, placing in the bottom half of the top 12 focusing on SWJ rhetoric instead of focusing on excellence.

I mourn for the corps which was my favorite for decades.  Now I don't care if I ever watch another of their performances ever again.  Such a waste considering the incredible talent they have behind those horns, drums and flags.

This is the world now and its a darn shame. Same thing is going on in colleges and universities. Its sickening. These SJW's want a world full of over sensitive safe space softies who cant handle failure, losing, adversity or criticism. Not my 3 kids though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

This is the world now and its a darn shame. Same thing is going on in colleges and universities. Its sickening. These SJW's want a world full of over sensitive safe space softies who cant handle failure, losing, adversity or criticism. Not my 3 kids though.

Omg get this baby boomer tripe out of here. Everybody else is horrible, but not my kids! No sir, not mine!

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

Omg get this baby boomer tripe out of here. Everybody else is horrible, but not my kids! No sir, not mine!

I didn't say that, you did.

• Like 2