How do the Cadets right the ship?

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

If this is from the Gene Wilder version, is this the lady who just passed away? Such a creepy movie only watched it once

edit never mind wrong kid (finally found a pic)

If it's creepy you don't want, then stay away from the Tim Burton version.

Gene Wilder is a treasure!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

If it's creepy you don't want, then stay away from the Tim Burton version.

Gene Wilder is a treasure!

Gene Wilders works I do like... Futurama nailed Wonka and Spuds McKenzie with the Slurm episode... its an addictive drink with a party hardy alien slug whose life style is killing him but he can’t quit. And it’s made in a Wonka type factory with Oompa Loompa like slave labor

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

This. Very true. 

After their 3rd place finish in 2011 the Cavies have not sniffed the top 3. They have been solid, competitive, and do have a 4th place finish from a few years back, but they have not really challenged for top 3.  But that is a misleading statement if all we are concerned about is the scores. The Cavaliers are very healthy and doing wonderfully. They also have not gone through anything as horrific as what Cadets just did. The message here could be that once you get knocked out of the box (top 5) it's tough to get back in. I can only imagine that competitive success may be even more difficult for the Cadets than it has for the Cavaliers.

I know everyone is different, but I have not been worried about scores or placement. I told myself last year that success for the Cadets should be measured on health of the organization and obtaining financial stability.  Many of you are saying the same thing.  Being financially healthy will certainly allow them to run more programs (bring back C2 and other local programs), hire more staff and design folks. They essentially have to rebuild their brand, their infrastructure, their financial base, and somehow find the right team of designers and teachers. 

Again, I know this is difficult to do, but as much as I have some issues with their show this year, I also find some excellent things to enjoy and the corps is performing well. And for the most part I am not worried about design at this point. I think we're all lucky they continue to be a top 12 corps. What they went through could easily have shut down an organization. 

the biggest problem for the Cavaliers has been the top spot keeps changing.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Gene Wilders works I do like... Futurama nailed Wonka and Spuds McKenzie with the Slurm episode... its an addictive drink with a party hardy alien slug whose life style is killing him but he can’t quit. And it’s made in a Wonka type factory with Oompa Loompa like slave labor

All credit to any television show that can parody "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and "Soylent Green" in the same episode with space for a New Coke joke on the side.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, FlamMan said:

That is the world today. Everyone is angry and offended by everyone and everything. Everyone is worried about everyone else and what they are saying and doing. Social media can surely be blamed for some of this. I have always told my kids to worry about yourself, your family, and your friends. Don't worry about what everyone else is saying and doing. Its non-productive.

My name is FlamMan and I approve this message.

Didn't you just applaud a rant in this very thread in which someone was angry and offended (over hearing SJW rhetoric at rehearsals)? So, relax maybe? Everyone on every side of these debates is the same: offended and angry when they disagree, not offended (and apt to call the other side sensitive) when they DO agree. Human nature! — which means we should also know how to chill out and respect each other like adults. 

Anyway —

for as much love as I have for the old Cadets, I'm sympathetic to what the new staff is trying to wrangle. It sounds to me like they're trying to distance themselves from the Hopkins era by not being the hardcore/April Gilligan screaming bloody murder/etc. era, partially because that's kinda not how the world seems to work right now, but mostly because they're trying to rebuild the legacy from ground up after a really trying time. I think there's WAY more at stake than where the Cadets are placing right now, and that if we all really cared that much, we'd continue to support, support, support, and be patient. That's our job, not wasting our time calling each other SJWs on some dang website. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Algernon said:

Do not for a second think YEA / The Cadets are in good financial shape. The ship is taking on water, big time. 

How do you know the details of their financials?  And what’s your suggestion on how to improve that aspect of the organization?

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Is it me or are people a little cranky lately?  Maybe it’s the heat.

Nah, it's just drum corps season.