How do the Cadets right the ship?

13 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Step 1 - Don’t change anything about the percussion staff.  

That’s all I got right now.  

Looking at last night's whole recap brings a most serious question:  will other corps buy-out that drum staff similar to what SCV did to PR and BAC did to hornstaff and Crown???

If pockets aren't deep and other issues cloud the chance of endorsements sticking around (poor pun I know,) the question becomes most major. Alumni allegiance only goes so far.

While some may rile that saying this aloud dooms the next three weeks and portends poor auditions come Fall, now is in fact when behind the scenes faculty/designer contracting begins to be done by more successful units.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and hope there are not too many snarky comments .........I think not only Cadets but PR suffers from the same problem. The country is so politically polarized right now t that any type of "social message" just does not go over. When SCV did that thing with the helicopters (think it was about Vietnam) and BAC did Les Miserables and PR did the Sparticus thing in 2008 or 2009 winning a title. Those were terrific shows about the human struggle. But the current stuff is too current in the context of people's current views and creates more dislike than like.

Just an observation IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

I'm going to stick my neck out here and hope there are not too many snarky comments .........I think not only Cadets but PR suffers from the same problem. The country is so politically polarized right now t that any type of "social message" just does not go over. When SCV did that thing with the helicopters (think it was about Vietnam) and BAC did Les Miserables and PR did the Sparticus thing in 2008 or 2009 winning a title. Those were terrific shows about the human struggle. But the current stuff is too current in the context of people's current views and creates more dislike than like.

Just an observation IMO

It's weird, though, that they can put a Elizabethan queen out there, with a big wig and a staff, and then tribal fighting etc..... that we're so polarized that we're like "nope, hits too close to home".

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Just an observation IMO

I don't think that's too far out there, in fact, I posed this same question to another poster via PM. I'm pretty "unhip" when it comes to show themes which is why I put focus into entertainment value vs what is this corps trying to tell me. From a judging standpoint, judges are humans too and though I'm sure they are trained not to judge the message, it's hard not to sometimes.   

To borrow an old quote, “If you want to send a message, use Western Union.” Otherwise, stick to cool music and fast, innovative drill. I don’t know if it’s enough to satisfy the sheets these days, but I still dig it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chris ncsu said:

It's weird, though, that they can put a Elizabethan queen out there, with a big wig and a staff...

if it were any other corps besides the cadets, i'd agree.

whoever chose to put in that original stuff with the "queen" at the beginning of the season was a complete moron.  it's sad that it took so many rational adults expressing discomfort over it for them to make a change. 

• Like 2

I for one like the Cadets, of course they were the "Kings" when they were "Garfield". Nobody has ever done Bernstein music better than this organization. There must be some other works beyond "West Side Story" that Cadets could do.

3 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

I for one like the Cadets, of course they were the "Kings" when they were "Garfield". Nobody has ever done Bernstein music better than this organization. There must be some other works beyond "West Side Story" that Cadets could do.

Bernstein's largely off limits these days. Rights.

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Don't mess with the Geritol gang. 

The inside joke between Terri and me is we are a few months apart in age....

no geritol for me yet but retirement date getting real close...

• Like 1