How do the Cadets right the ship?

15 minutes ago, Algernon said:

Mr. Dixon, care to comment?

Zero knowledge of any of that. I'm a fan & donor. 

What I do know is relitigating things over and over isn't going to help matters

I believe a court case is happening soon? Or a settlement? Haven't heard much lately on any of that.

Most important to me is: What is the path forward?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

So, just to be clear, you not only believe that GH should still be in charge, but that they would be more competitive right now if he were?

Yes, I have no doubt they would be.. as odd as the 2017 show was it had more moments to me that were reflective of a Top 6 show than any of the past two years. I am an alumni, I want them to bounce back, but I am not holding my breath.

One thing nobody has mentioned and I have no insight, but what is the feedback on Doug Rutherford? Seems to me he went Phantom in 94 and was in the process of destroying that corps (1995 the corps was starting to fall off IMO) and was booted, corps wins in 1996 ... never got the vibe that DR is the right fit.. just a gut feeling of course . 

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

You are correct, were that to be true. This isn't a defense of George Hopkins, more of an attack of John Hannigan et al -  the alumni that ripped apart YEA (for the right reasons) but didn't man up and support the rebuilding process. 

and you have proof? Considering I get a facebook message a week from John advertising various YEA fundraising activities, I'd say he's helping to do a lot.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and you have proof? Considering I get a facebook message a week from John advertising various YEA fundraising activities, I'd say he's helping to do a lot.

John and a lot of alums are very active with the corps, from my reading and experience. The alumni FB group has some of the victims of GH as members, and support for them is total and unwavering, as far as I can tell.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

John and a lot of alums are very active with the corps, from my reading and experience. The alumni FB group has some of the victims of GH as members, and support for them is total and unwavering, as far as I can tell.

very much so.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I believe a court case is happening soon?

As of April, the trial was supposed to start on July 29th (interesting conjunction w/ DCI East).  There was supposed to be a status on May 29th that didn't seem to get much coverage. 

16 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

It’s disquieting to discover that there’s someone out there who feels that any social organization would somehow be better off if an alleged sexual predator was still in charge. 

Let's not forget that The Cadets slump started when you-know-who was in charge, so it's not like this is a sudden thing. This has been happening for a few years now. 

Also let's not forget the plethora of talent that left while he was in charge (Jeff, Gino, Colin, Neil, Tom, etc). Thankfully Tom and Neil came back, and I don't think it's wrong to suggest a motivating factor was someone no longer being there.

Also, according to Scott, there's a LOT of behind the scenes stuff that most of us do not know that needed to be fixed. He didn't go into details but he did suggest that those things just don't fix overnight. 

If I were to take a guess at one thing, I would say housing. I do know some schools did not want The Cadets there after GH went against the schools wishes. Getting housing is difficult as it is and mending relationships takes time.

Edited by East9900
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

It’s disquieting to discover that there’s someone out there who feels that any social organization would somehow be better off if an alleged sexual predator was still in charge. 

It's astounding to me that anyone could think that.  Even if one believed with all their heart that GH is innocent (which to me is very hard to believe but I do believe in due process as well as respecting others with different opinions) I don't know how they could think that he could lead the corps while embroiled in a scandal, not to mention while on trial for very serious charges, without that being massively detrimental to the corps, if not rendering it altogether impossible to function.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3