How do the Cadets right the ship?

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

As someone who has been a part of many groups who have to work together as a team, as well as someone who has had to organize groups to work as a team, I would think bringing all the people needed for a drum corps, all who have many gifts, not to mention expertise, along with in some cases egos, artistic temperaments along with the human flaws we all have would be a challenge for anyone, and one I probably could not do. 

You could do it. A case of being the right accommodating personality and explaining how everyone ticks in a way everyone else respects, understands, and appreciates. And yes, the whole temperamental thing can and dies pop up. With the right people- those people will also realize in most cases, they didn't realize they were driving others crazy and why, and will work it out.

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

John and a lot of alums are very active with the corps, from my reading and experience. The alumni FB group has some of the victims of GH as members, and support for them is total and unwavering, as far as I can tell.

That’s what I wanted to hear.  I was asking out of sincere concern for the survivors.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, East9900 said:

Let's not forget that The Cadets slump started when you-know-who was in charge, so it's not like this is a sudden thing. This has been happening for a few years now. 

Also let's not forget the plethora of talent that left while he was in charge (Jeff, Gino, Colin, Neil, Tom, etc). Thankfully Tom and Neil came back, and I don't think it's wrong to suggest a motivating factor was someone no longer being there.

Also, according to Scott, there's a LOT of behind the scenes stuff that most of us do not know that needed to be fixed. He didn't go into details but he did suggest that those things just don't fix overnight. 

If I were to take a guess at one thing, I would say housing. I do know some schools did not want The Cadets there after GH went against the schools wishes. Getting housing is difficult as it is and mending relationships takes time.

To be fair, Tom and Neil came back before GH left, after Colin went.

Baselessly speculating because I'm about the farthest thing from an insider, but my guess (based on the timelines) is that the only reason Tom left in the first place was because Colin came in (presumably because during Gino's tenure he and Colin became a package deal due to their personal relationship).

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

It's astounding to me that anyone could think that.  Even if one believed with all their heart that GH is innocent (which to me is very hard to believe but I do believe in due process as well as respecting others with different opinions) I don't know how they could think that he could lead the corps while embroiled in a scandal, not to mention while on trial for very serious charges, without that being massively detrimental to the corps, if not rendering it altogether impossible to function.  

if he were still in charge, DCI wouldn't be allowing the Cadets to go on tour. 

7 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Baselessly speculating because I'm about the farthest thing from an insider, but my guess (based on the timelines) is that the only reason Tom left in the first place was because Colin came in (presumably because during Gino's tenure he and Colin became a package deal due to their personal relationship).

Tom had a job for life if he wanted. Based on a reply he made to Travis Petermans Facebook post about CWP being shut down, I'd say he didn't just leave to make room for Colin. 

15 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

I believe this is Neil's first year back. And I don't think there was any package deal between Gino and Colin. To my knowledge, Tom's departure from the Cadets had nothing to do with Colin.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dans said:

I believe this is Neil's first year back. And I don't think there was any package deal between Gino and Colin. To my knowledge, Tom's departure from the Cadets had nothing to do with Colin.

Fair enough. Like I said, baseless speculation. Glad to have my understanding corrected.

5 hours ago, Algernon said:

Mr. Dixon, care to comment?

Hold on - YOU are the one who posted the claim that various alumni tore apart YEA then didn’t stick around to rebuild. Then when you are asked if this is really true, you want to punt the question to someone else?  So, is your claim completely made up?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5