How do the Cadets right the ship?

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

This year I have begun to wonder if maybe it really does come down to the design team. Put a Beatles show in the hands of GH...how many ways does that go terribly wrong?

We all live in a maroon and gold submarine 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

This year I have begun to wonder if maybe it really does come down to the design team. Put a Beatles show in the hands of GH...how many ways does that go terribly wrong?

I can't even imagine how bad that would have been. Even the Bluecoats first Beatles show in 1992 was way better than any imaginary show of that nature designed by a staff under the iron-fist rule of an idiot. Someone mentioned Saucedo and Gaines when they were with Cavaliers. I agree. They did a fantastic Billy Joel show in 2007 that I really liked. 

44 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I can't even imagine how bad that would have been. Even the Bluecoats first Beatles show in 1992 was way better than any imaginary show of that nature designed by a staff under the iron-fist rule of an idiot. Someone mentioned Saucedo and Gaines when they were with Cavaliers. I agree. They did a fantastic Billy Joel show in 2007 that I really liked. 

That was a great show. While they are both shows featuring a single artist/group and completely different, there's something they both did that is 100% on the mark. They both did shows that fit the original artist's/group's style. A Billy Joel show wouldn't have worked in the style of The Beatles in the same way you couldn't do The Beatles in the style of Billy Joel. Both corps understood that and that's why those shows work in their own ways. 

Edited by East9900

2 hours ago, ykw said:

Side by Side is the first show that comes to mind if you are implying performing while on a vertical prop

Sky Ryders 1987?

Cavaliers 2005?

A couple dozen others?

Maybe we're talking about different things?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

14 hours ago, jordsterr said:

Yes.  And he attempted something like that with giant wheels in 86 at Star. The idea was mostly abandoned except for one on which a soloist stood.  It was an idea ahead of its time that was eventually used by someone else.

I think he was thinking in terms of guard utensils to create that "z" axis as well, I think it's a more than appropriate term here. Also, trying to create visual forms that would 'pop' in that dimension as well. I think, had he lived for a few more years, he would have had the "AH-HAH!" moment with  physical structures.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

THAT had me think. When I saw the Jethro Tull show, I thought, "All the great, exciting, and accessible music Tull did and they avoided all of it except for a 2-bar quote of 'Aqualung'. "

1 hour ago, BigW said:

I think he was thinking in terms of guard utensils to create that "z" axis as well, I think it's a more than appropriate term here. Also, trying to create visual forms that would 'pop' in that dimension as well. I think, had he lived for a few more years, he would have had the "AH-HAH!" moment with  physical structures.

JVD did that with Star of Indiana in '92 with those moving prop poles the mms used.

3 hours ago, BigW said:

THAT had me think. When I saw the Jethro Tull show, I thought, "All the great, exciting, and accessible music Tull did and they avoided all of it except for a 2-bar quote of 'Aqualung'. "

Awwwww come on. The baton twirler made up for it.

(not a slam against him, he was phenomenal)

6 hours ago, BigW said:

2004 is on my all-time LEAST favorite Cadet shows list....close to the top, actually.

When are changes going in?