How do the Cadets right the ship?

7 hours ago, KRtrumpet182 said:

Same here. I have no other connection to The Cadets other than the fact that they are the corps that made me fall in love with the activity when I saw my first DCI show in 2001. I just want them to succeed. 

From observation, success in today's environment is just being able to keep the corps fiscally sustainable, being able to recruit good performers and staff would be a distant second, though having the money to get top design talent would stem from the first thing.

If you mean success is a shot at medaling every season, that's a whole other level the corps will have to steadily regain. I think some of us older folks who go back into the 70's or before... remember when Garfield was simply fighting to make finals, and during the one season struggling to just find people to fill the drill, found them at a rehearsal down South, and pretty much took them onto the bus for the rest of that season. I think maybe THAT season was as important as any other in the existence of The Cadets. Without it, no multiple titles and aura. Up there as well in terms of importance, last season. Anyone who wore that uniform last season and in that one in the early 80's... deserves as much or more respect as any Cadets member with a Ring.

That seems to be a thread in a lot of the discussions of late in particular. Certain attitudes hardening within some alumni (not in Cadets) that more successful periods in the corps history makes one 'better' than those who weren't there during those periods. This isn't necessarily so for a lot of good reasons. Just my tuppence.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

The problem with changing YEA's name to something Cadets,is that US Bands  and Xcape don't really fit into the activities associated with the Cadets  name.

I'm all for changing YEA's name,but I don't know if something Cadets centric would fit the overall organization.

Cadets Music and visual Education

16 minutes ago, Algernon said:

$800,000 is awfully big number.....

what's up?

On 7/25/2019 at 1:32 PM, BigW said:

If you mean success is a shot at medaling every season, that's a whole other level the corps will have to steadily regain. I think some of us older folks who go back into the 70's or before... remember when Garfield was simply fighting to make finals, and during the one season struggling to just find people to fill the drill, found them at a rehearsal down South, and pretty much took them onto the bus for the rest of that season. I think maybe THAT season was as important as any other in the existence of The Cadets. Without it, no multiple titles and aura. Up there as well in terms of importance, last season. Anyone who wore that uniform last season and in that one in the early 80's... deserves as much or more respect as any Cadets member with a Ring.

1980. The year that saved the corps.

Had a friend who marched there.  To go from basically on the ropes that spring, to 10th place at Finals... quite a good feeling, to say the least. Especially for someone like him, who aged out in '80 after multiple years with the corps.

24 minutes ago, Algernon said:

the more things change, the more they stay the same

no - the more things change the more they are different

BOD has been working diligently to build revenue while reducing expenses

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

$800,000 is awfully big number.....

and it's lower because they have been finding ways to reduce it and not just putting every egg in the band circuit basket. Sadly C2 was a victim of this

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

1980. The year that saved the corps.

Had a friend who marched there.  To go from basically on the ropes that spring, to 10th place at Finals... quite a good feeling, to say the least. Especially for someone like him, who aged out in '80 after multiple years with the corps.

and the kids who marched 18 are also in that hero category...it kept the corps alive. Now the competitive landscape is so much different, it's going to take time to get back to the top.....and patience from people that expect instant results

• Like 3