How do the Cadets right the ship?

George Dixion, 

The score as of this minute has them 7th until something changes.

The spread between Boston and Cadets is 1.975 until something changes.

I don't give a ratsass  what the score was last time they went head to head as of right now it is what it is. 

The other stuff we agree on.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

George Dixion, 

The score as of this minute has them 7th until something changes.

The spread between Boston and Cadets is 1.975 until something changes.

I don't give a ratsass  what the score was last time they went head to head as of right now it is what it is. 

The other stuff we agree on.

Well I’m very nervous about comparing scores from different shows. Hoping it lines up head to head 

2 hours ago, year1buick said:

Actually, I should’ve said just nothing repeated. I loved the 92 and 93 shows based on his music and think he’s just such a great fit for their style.

Absolutely. The rythmic aspects of his music fit wonderfully. According to Wiki, he's back doing some limited work and recovered from his stroke to a good extent- I don't know if he's composed anything since then.

14 minutes ago, FTNK said:

As a show designer put it to me way back in 2008, music. doesn't. matter. They need to find a concept that will work with the judges, music is secondary tertiary?

That would be like me saying patients don’t really matter, only billing. I get what you’re saying but would hate it if that’s become the mindset.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, year1buick said:

That would be like me saying patients don’t really matter, only billing. I get what you’re saying but would hate it if that’s become the mindset.

You find a show and visual concept, then select a few passages, maybe only some main motives and chords, that can tie the concept together. 

When people post "I wish someone would play X" they are thinking in an 80s/90s mindset. We aren't going to see a full arrangement of Overture to Candide like it's 1990

8 minutes ago, FTNK said:

You find a show and visual concept, then select a few passages, maybe only some main motives and chords, that can tie the concept together. 

When people post "I wish someone would play X" they are thinking in an 80s/90s mindset. We aren't going to see a full arrangement of Overture to Candide like it's 1990

I get it

but that sucks 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FTNK said:

old news. corps are back to playing 3-4 minute segments of source music again, which is no different than the 80s & 90s. BD is often the exception, but even they're playing an unaltered, full length ballad this year. your point does not apply anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

old news. corps are back to playing 3-4 minute segments of source music again, which is no different than the 80s & 90s. BD is often the exception, but even they're playing an unaltered, full length ballad this year. your point does not apply anymore.

Caves 1995 vs 2017

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Caves 1995 vs 2017

Are you gonna ignore their original music years in between those? We've pretty much swung back to letting source material and full melodies shine. And to your specific example, as I've stated elsewhere throughout the forums (I like to have this argument a few times a year with people who bemoan the supposed loss of music in the activity), Cavies '16-'18 were very much the outlier in a time when everyone else was swinging back to full melodies, and their design team still thought using 9 pieces in a show was the in thing to do (hint: it wasn't). Phantom also took a year or two around then to figure out that that wasn't the trend anymore. That same year, BD won with Everything Must Change,  Crown medaled using a ballad of one full piece and a closer of another, Boston used their full Wicked Games ballad, BK had their Bjork ballad, Oregon Crusaders played Elgar in full as well as their Enya ballad, PacCrest let California Dreamin' shine, Scouts used only three pieces of music, and Cadets used ONE monolithic work for source music (and if you think that's why they didn't do well that season, you're wrong). Your 2017 example isn't a good one. Cavies were the outlier.